Part 29: Ishita

"Hello guys. Sorry for late update. Please enjoy it. Please leave comments and tell me how you find it. Hope everyone is fine and healthy." - Vibha

I lock the door. Today is our last day in this apartment. Before we head to Raman's place, I go and leave the key with the landlady who wishes to give the apartment for rent.

Ruhi is excited to set up all her things in her new room at Raman's place. All of us help her in doing so and we finish at around 7 in the night. After dinner, I tuck tired Ruhi in her new bed and as she drifts into sleep I hear her whisper, "go and sleep now Ishima."

As I walk out of Ruhi's room, I wonder where should I be sleeping tonight. I wonder how do I talk to Raman about it when I find him approaching me.

"Ishita, I wanted to talk to you, let's go in the garden", he tells me and I start following him.

"Ishita, I know all of this is happening quickly. It's so confusing and I understand how hard it is for you. But I want to reassure you that we are in this house only for Ruhi. Even if you and I are staying together in one house, or in one room, we live only as mother and father of Ruhi. I will respect all of your boundaries. I know Mummyji wants to get us married, but even after it, we will be together only for our daughter. You can fearlessly sleep in my room and I will sleep on the sofa. I will never impose anything on you unless you're ready Ishita. I promise."

I laugh. I am shocked by how he can understand what I wanted to tell him before me even saying one word to him. This has been bothering me since so long and he has so conveniently resolved all my fear and confusion.

"Thank you Raman. Thank you for understanding me, I really really appreciate it."

He smiles and says, "but I hope you will allow me to sleep on the sofa, otherwise I'll be okay if you even ask me to sleep here in this garden."

"That will definitely be better", I tell him and we both start laughing.

"Ishita but tell me something, all of this is fine, but what if you start falling in love with me? People tell me that I am irresistible. What will you do then?"

I laugh. I don't know why but I feel that I have started to redden as well. He smiles widely and awaits an answer from me. I simply look at him and say, "I won't", before laughing and running to our room.

The next morning I help Mummyji prepare breakfast and pack lunch for Raman who has to go out for work purposes today

The next morning I help Mummyji prepare breakfast and pack lunch for Raman who has to go out for work purposes today. He kisses Ruhi and waves goodbye to both Mummyji and me before he leaves. Some time after he leaves, Mummyji tells me, "oh dear, he has left his wallet here. Go and give it to him before he drives off."

I take the wallet and rush out and fortunately I see him standing and talking to an Aunty in the corridor. As I approach them, I hear the Aunty tell him,
"Raman son, I heard that you have started to live with a divorced woman who already has one child. It's such a pity my child, you are so young, so naive, I'm sure she must have ensnared you. I know women like her very well. She must have found you a very good, young and wealthy man and that is why she is using her beauty and daughter to take advantage of you. If I could, I would get a number of good girls lined up for you, my son."

I boil with so much anger that tears start to stream down my face. Why is Raman still quiet? If Raman doesn't tell her anything, I swear, I'll leave his house right now. I get even more shocked when I see Raman smiling back at her.

"Auntyji, did you seriously interrupt me to tell me this? Auntyji, I can proudly say you do not even have the least idea who and how Ishita is. I'd choose her as my wife and Ruhi as my daughter over anyone. By the way, how is your husband doing? Do you remember which clinic you brought him to when he was so critically ill and no other hospital wanted to operate him because you couldn't afford to pay the bills? Oh yes, you took him to the Ruh Clinic which for your kind information is my to-be-wife's clinic. Despite being a stranger, she helped you so much. She didn't even charge a penny from you then. How did your then goddess turn an opportunist today Auntyji?

How come just becoming a divorced woman and having a daughter, means that she does not have a life of her own? Would you have had the same opinion if I were divorced and had a child? No, exactly and that does not mean that you can accuse her like this. And Auntyji, think about it, why didn't your number of good girls help you when you were so much in need during the treatment of your husband? I will have to leave now, but I will send you a wedding invitation soon. My daughter will be very happy to meet you. See you."

It felt like my heart stopped when he was telling her all these things. My anger turned to love. He is so precious and my tears resume again. Just at that moment, Raman turns around and sees me.

"Ishita, why are you crying? Is everything alright?"

"Yes Raman. I was just cutting onions and I came to give you your wallet, you left it inside."

"Thank you Ishita."

"Thank you Raman. Thank you so much", I tell him and I fall in his arms and I hug him tightly. My heart feels so relieved. After some time, he lifts me up and wipes my tears off.

"It's okay Ishita. I said what had to be said. Don't worry."

"It just means a lot and..."

"And?"

"Mummyji just spoke to the Panditji, he said there's an auspicious date for the wedding next week."