Part 6: Raman

My mind is still so bothered by yesterday's incident. Ruhi seemed to have been in so much pain yesterday. I wonder how her injury must be now. She is also absent today, maybe I could try to look for her address or a phone number in the school records or ask her classmates if they know where she lives.

I get so lost in my thoughts while correcting the students' scripts that I miss the numerous knocks of the clerk on the classroom door.

"Oh yes, I am so sorry Ravi, I got so immersed in correcting the scripts that I did not hear the knocks. You had something to tell me?"

"It's okay Raman, actually the parent of one of your students is asking for you downstairs in the office. Do you want me to leave a message for them or will you proceed to meet them?"

"Actually Ravi, the class is about to end in some time, why don't you ask the parent to wait for some time and I'll join them in a while?"

During the recess, I go directly in the office. There I see her, wearing a saree, sitting on a chair and reading a magazine.

"Good morning ma'am, I am sorry that I kept you waiting, how are you doing?"

"I am good Mr. Raman. Actually I wanted to talk to you about yesterday. First of all, I want to apologise about my behaviour because of the misunderstanding that cropped up between us. Everything happened so quickly, I only saw Ruhi's injury and could not think straight after that. I am so sorry. I hope you understand and will forgive me. It was very stupid of me to act in such a way."

"Ma'am, now you are embarrassing me. It is totally fine. Anyone would behave in this way if they saw their child in those circumstances. To be honest, if I would have been in your place, I would have even slapped the other person."

She started laughing.

"And now, ma'am tell me how is Ruhi feeling now? I was getting extremely worried because of her absence today."

"Actually I came here to talk about that itself. The doctor had to plaster her foot. She also advised that complete bed rest will be very beneficial for her recovery. So I wanted to ask you if you could grant her the permission to stay at home during this week. I even have the doctor's note with me, if it is required."

"Oh, that is not required at all ma'am. Health always come first. I only hope that she gets well very soon. Send her my regards, will you please ma'am?"

"Oh yes, I will definitely do that. And by the way, please do call me Ishita, not ma'am", she says smiling.

"Okay sure. By the way, I really wanted to meet you and talk to you about Ruhi, maam- sorry Ishita."

Her smiling expression immediately changes into an anxious one as she starts asking me whether everything is alright.

"Don't you worry, please. I only wanted to tell you that Ruhi is a very precious child. Very well-brought up and nurtured. She is very mature, to be honest, and needless to say very intelligent. And it's an extremely nice thing Ishita. I am sure you are so proud of her. And kudos to you, you're a great mother. Any child would be proud to have a mother like you."

"And every mother would be proud to have a daughter like Ruhi,'' she said keeping her dampening eyes low.
"By the way, it was nice to meet you. Thank you for your lovely words and your permission. See you soon."

"It was nice to meet you too Ishita. Please take care of Ruhi and do not worry about her missing her classes. I'll send her all the additional notes."

She smiles and turns around to leave when I find myself calling out her name, "Ishita",
She mildly turns around without looking at me as I say,
"Take care of yourself too."

I sense her pause for some moments as a smile forms on her lips

I sense her pause for some moments as a smile forms on her lips. Without saying anything, she leaves the room.
And I still stand there and watch her go, even if I can no longer see her now.

I do not remember when was the last time I actually had the time to speak with a woman the way I spoke to her today. There was a sense of familiarity that I feel with her, a strange connection despite the fact that she is a complete stranger to me, and I know her only because of Ruhi.

That night, her face does not leave my mind at all. I spend a sleepless night, trying to phrase my meeting with her in a poem, but something seems incomplete even if I tried thrice to complete it. The emotions that I am feeling for her are hard to understand. It is definitely not love or attraction of any sort, but it simply feels like a thread was holding both of us together in that moment. Well, maybe I'd never see her again, but who knows what life has in store for us.