Part 23: Ishita

Author: "Hello guys, I am sorry that this part was actually late. I was engrossed in exams and assignments and all during this time. I know the lock down period is getting longer and more difficult out there, but it is just the downpour before the brightest sunrises. Make the best of these moments. Be happy, be strong, be safe, be healthy. Don't hesitate to tell me how the situation is in your countries. Enjoy the story and don't forget the comments. Thanks everyone. Take care."
-Vibha

I do not even bother that I have been lying in Raman's lap for over half an hour now. Suddenly, we hear a knock on the door and Raman rushes to open the door.
A young and beautiful woman enters and greets Raman before coming and greeting me. "Hi Ishita. I am Akshara." I smile at her and ask her to sit on the sofa. Raman hands her the legal papers immediately and sits next to her.

Both of us stare at her while she goes through the pages and marks certain points. After some time, she breaks the silence as she says, "So Ishita, this is a custody application by Mr. Sagar Singhal. And according to his report, he claims that he is the father of Ruhi and your husband as well and that you left his house without giving him any notice or anything."

"What??!", I jump straight away, "how can he say such a thing! That's false!"

"Okay Ishita", Akshara adds, "now tell me something, think about it well. It's just a question, did you ever unknowingly sign any legal papers or something. Or do you remember that Mr. Sagar made you forcibly sign some papers?"

"No Akshara, I do not remember signing any legal papers! But, oh! Oh no!"

I place my face in my palms and start crying. After some time I muster some courage and tell them.
"Raman, remember I told you about the day I went to his place. And before I yielded to him, he asked me to do something..."

"Akshat, you do not love me, that's why you don't want to marry me. I have always loved you so much."

"Oh Ishita! Obviously I love you, okay let me show you. Let us pretend this is a marriage document, come sign here."

"Okay here I am signing it. But what about you?"

"I will do it as soon as you let me love you..."

"Those were blank papers. I remember very well. And I do not even remember him signing it back. But Akshara, I never got any papers or anything that informed me that he has signed the document. There were no witnesses nor any court procedure so how is it even possible?"

"So, I think my suspicion is right", Akshara says, "Mr. Sagar did not appoint the lawyer Mr. Dev Bhalla just like that. He has quite a reputation for forging legal documents and manipulating them in the favour of his case. I'm sure it's one of his dirty tricks. But it's surprising why Mr. Akshat is applying for the custody of Ruhi now, that will even imply that he wants you back in his life. Well anyways, it makes the case a little more complicated. But I need some time to go through this in detail. Raman, I'll get to you as soon as possible and I will contact you if I need any additional information, okay?"

Raman goes to leave Akshara downstairs and I start to feel so angry at myself. How could I have been so careless?! How could I just sign any papers?! And, I blamed Raman for nothing! Why is everything turning so bad suddenly! All this because of that bastard!

As I wait for Raman to come back, I think about how I should apologize to him. I will also tell him that he does not need to get involved in all these legal matters because of me. He has always done so much for us. It all happened because of me and I will fight my own battle.

"Hey Raman", I tell him as soon as I see him enter.

"Ishita. I have to leave now. Goodbye now."

"Raman...can you please stay for some time? I have... I never meant to say all those things... I should not have said all of..."

"It's okay Ishita. I understand", he turns to leave but I find myself running after him and stopping him, "please stay, for me."

He sits next to me and I tell him, "I met Akshat in the restaurant yesterday. I got so troubled and the next day when I got the papers I just saw the name Bhalla and I... I did not think about Akshat because he had no reason to apply for Ruhi's custody and you also don't... But please Raman... Please forgive me. I keep on doing this Raman... I..."

"I understand Ishita, but..."

"But what Raman? Listen Raman, I plead of you, I beg you, please open up, please scold me, please tell me what you think about me, please scream at me! I am always the one who talks, the one who accuses and you just listen to me! Please Raman, today I want you to talk. I beg of you."

"Ishita...", he murmurs and continues, "I am hurt this time. Very hurt and angry. But not at you, at myself. I always have tried to do good for others, care for others, put everyone else before me, but to my own detriment. I have come to realize now that caring for others before yourself comes with its own price."

I lower my head. I completely understand how he feels. I have felt like this so many times already. I feel terrible that he has had to feel like this because of me. Tears start to stream on my face.

"Ishita, how do I explain that to you...it makes me feel hollow. I have always accepted you two as my family and how easily you said earlier that I do not even accept Ruhi as my own. It's easier to accuse isn't it? Because I never say anything. I don't blame you Ishita. Everyone does, even God keeps snatching things and happiness from good people because he knows they will remain quiet, they won't fight back."

I take his hands into mine.

"You know Ishita, you'll be the first one I am going to tell this. 9 years ago, my father went to pick up my 8 year old sister Rinky from school but both of them never came back."

I gasp. I start to quiver. I feel the veins in Raman's body tense. I feel scared to look at him and face him.

"Rinky was my life Ishita. I took care of her ever since she was so tiny. She was such a bubbly child. She filled our lives with happiness, she spread happiness and love wherever she went. Everyone loved her. I took care of her like a daughter Ishita, and you know, Ruhi looks so similar to Rinky. When I saw Ruhi for the first time, I thought I was looking at Rinky. I thought she came back. She was so beautiful, so innocent, so pure, but... On the day of her birthday, she had that accident. Both of them died at the spot but along with them, my mother, Simmi and I all died with them."

He removes his hands from mine and tells me, "you see these hands Ishita? These are the very hands that had to burn the bodies of my father and my baby sister

He removes his hands from mine and tells me, "you see these hands Ishita? These are the very hands that had to burn the bodies of my father and my baby sister. How terrible can I be? How bad can this God be? Why didn't he kill me instead of them!"

I place his head on my shoulders and let him cry his heart out, "Ishita, I have always treated Ruhi as my own, as a daughter, as Rinky. I never felt such a close attachment with anyone before Ruhi. I'm glad you both came into our lives. I have seen my mother smile after ages when Ruhi came into my house. Ishita, I already lost Rinky and my father, but I cannot bear to lose Ruhi as well now. I will be here with you till the very end in this fight. I promise you, I will do anything to keep Ruhi with you, with us. Nothing and no one can separate her from us, no one. I promise you."