Part 20: Raman

Author's note: "Things are worsening concerning the Corona Virus in Mauritius. There are 24 people affected and 2 deaths already. Cases are tripling and it makes you realize that it is not something to be taken lightly. Please, stay in the comforts of your homes and with your families and follow the rights and regulations of the confinement. Take care of yourselves and be safe."
-Vibha

"Ishita, please take hold of yourself. To be honest, this is not something to cry on, actually you should be proud of yourself that you emerged as a winner, that you have grown yourself into such a beautifully strong woman. You know how much strength it takes for a single woman to give birth to and raise a child. On top of that, you have also managed to set up a whole clinic all by yourself Ishita. You're the epitome of strength, I salute you my lady."

"Oh Raman. Please, stop it", she smiles and says, "you know Raman you also played a great role in making me a better Ishita."

"Me? How?"

"Raman, when you just got to meet me, do you remember how I was behaving with Ruhi? Raman...actually, I love Ruhi so much but at times she reminded me so much about him, about that horrendous day. I was scared to get closer to her or love her too much, because I thought she might leave me the same way Akshat did. I feared too much, so much that I kept her deprived of my love for so long. But when you came, your words were the exact push that I needed, that made me understand. I realized Ruhi has nothing to do with my past or Akshat. She is the daughter I gave birth to, and the daughter I have raised. She is my part and no one else's, she does not even bear any resemblance to that man."

"You've raised a beautiful daughter Ishita, always remember that, she is yours. Listen, it is already three o'clock, why don't we go to sleep now? Today has been a long day."

I leave her in her room and when I come in mine, I am unable to sleep.

I get up at six. I go in the kitchen and I find her there, with a wide smile on her face.

"Oh my. Someone is glowing. Good morning."

I watch her turn red as she rolls her eyes and says, "good morning, what are you doing here so early?"

"I thought that maybe I could prepare breakfast for everyone today, but it seems that someone else already took the charge to."

"I haven't even started yet, but you will cook? Are you sure? Should I be calling the fire brigade beforehand?", she raises an eyebrow and smirks at me.

"Don't underestimate the power of a common man, my lady. Mummyji says that I am an amazing cook. Don't challenge me."

"We'll see."

She winks at me and I immediately tie the apron around me and start kneading the dough of the aloo ke parathe. She keeps teasing me as she stands across the counter and watches me. We both run around the kitchen as she tries to smear flour on my face.