Chapter 8 : Reunion

Weeks passed, and the three traumatized were still unbearable, stuck in a rollercoaster between sadness and anger. Jane surprisingly went back to work, relieving a bit Max. Like that, she was sure she wasn't alone, Moussa keeping an eye on her.

But today it was the 5th year reunion of their high school in Hawkins. All of them took a hotel chamber, happy to have their lovers with them. They were so proud of them, Hawkins was far from New-York, it was a big step. Maybe they wanted to see again all this people they didn't like in high school!

Max was in the bathroom, getting ready. She was glad Jane didn't break the mirror, it was certainly because the redhead was always sure to cover it before she went inside. She wondered why the high school organized a 5th year reunion. First, because it wasn't the right year, it should have been the year before, and second because it was usually for the 10th year. Hawkins High School was certainly the only school doing this. She put Jane's leather bracelet around her wrist and joined her girlfriend in the room. Jane was standing at the window, like to be sure no one was going to attack her.

- "Um...you're ready?" asked Max.

- "Yes," answered Jane still looking outside.

- "Are you okay?"

- "Yeah, yeah..."

- "If you prefer staying here, I understand."

- "I'm fine!" got irritated Jane.

- "Okay, let's go then."

Jane sighed loudly with her nose before finally moving. They took their coats and bags and went to their car. It was Max who was driving, not only because she didn't trust Jane at it, but because...well, it was especially because she didn't trust Jane behind a wheel. She didn't put the radio on, knowing Jane would put it off, as usual. The ride was quiet, none of the girls said a word. At least, Jane wasn't grumbling, it was like vacation for the redhead!

They arrived on the parking lot of the gymnasium. Nothing changed; it was a bit sad. A senior year welcomed them, giving them their badges after checking their identities. Max wondered if there were people going to school reunion where they were not invited. It was creepy and weird.

As soon as they entered, Max wanted to run away. She didn't like people in there, majority of them participated of bullying, especially with Jane. But anyway, they were there, so she was going to try to have fun! She entered and tried to look for faces she knew. When she was about to tell Jane who she just saw, she noticed that she was already gone. Fine, she would go alone.

- "Hey Max!"

- "Hey Dustin!"

The two friends hugged each other, happy to finally see each other.

- "It's been a while!" stated the man.

- "Indeed! Last summer, right?"

- "Yes, it was so cool! Jane is not here?"

- "She is here, somewhere, she was just behind me, and she just disappeared!"

- "Oh...she is still..?"

- "Worse! Anyway, how is Suzy?"

- "She is good, she didn't come, you know, six months is a lot, she is exhausted!" explained Dustin with a smile.

- "Yeah, I understand, it's fine," told Max.

The two friends kept talking about their lives. A bit farther, Moussa and Beverly were arriving. They had to take the bus, because their car broke down just before they left. It was a big ordeal for the redhead, but she still made it, and Moussa couldn't be prouder. The man gently grabbed her hand, lightly rubbing the back of it, wanting to relax her. She was looking around, like if a danger could jump on her.