Chapter 19 : The road

Max, Bev, Moussa, and Lucas were back in the room with the psychologist when Gabrielle and Jane finally reappeared.

- "What happened to your hand!?" murmured Max.

- "Nothing."

- "That's why you have another bandage!"

- "I punched a wall, okay!? You're happy!?"

Max frowned to Gabrielle who just shrugged and pouted. The psychologist summarized what happened before the break, to be sure everyone agreed with this version. But, this time, everybody stayed quiet, even Beverly. The woman tried to make them talk, but they didn't say a word, lost in their thoughts, so she waited a moment before continuing:

- "What happened to the people in the other truck?"

- "They died," replied sharply Jane.

- "So, you were just four after this? You, Mr. Sinclair, Ms. Marsh, and Jordan?"

- "Five," corrected Lucas.

- "Who was the fifth?"

- "Daniel."

- "Okay, five, I note that. What happened next?"

Lucas and Jane didn't answer. They both looked at each other before watching Bev and looking away.

- "So what!? You're not gonna answer anymore!?" intervened Max a bit tired and upset by all of this.

- "We don't have to answer!" replied Jane.

- "Yes you have! They won't stop until you answer!"

- "We can say nothing for two weeks."

- "You don't wanna feel better!? You wanna stay hurt and sad and angry all your life!?" intervened Gabrielle.

Jane didn't answer. She leaned back on the couch and took the pillow next to her to hug it, before looking down. Max didn't like seeing her like that, she wanted to be the one hugging her to comfort and reassure her, but she couldn't.

- "I went in there, to see if there were survivors," told Lucas. "They were trying to help Jordan and to stop his hemorrhages, but he was losing too much blood. I tried to find the aid kit in the truck but...it was, it was a real mess inside..."

The boy stopped talking, staring into space with a terrified expression, breathing heavily and shaking.

- "What did you do?" asked gently the psychologist.

- "Nothing...I couldn't do anything..."

Lucas ran to the broken truck, his feet burning on the sand. As he was coming closer, he saw blood flowing from bodies, shredded flesh, and snatched members. He felt his heart in his throat, thinking he was going to throw it up. He took deep breathes, trying to calm down, and opened a door. A soldier's head fell on his side, eyes opened, looking at him with no soul inside. Lucas had a long and brutal start, managing to not scream, and froze. His eyes were going deep in his, like if he could possess his body and taking his soul away.

- "Lucas!" called Jane knelt next to Jordan's body with her hands on him. "He is dead, what about the others?"

Beverly, next to her, tapped her to have her attention and showed him with her head. Jane turned and saw that he was under shock. She stood and quickly walked to him with her body covered of blood.

- "(snaps in front of his face) Hey, hey! Look at me! Lucas, look at me! Good. You're here? You're okay?"

- "Why are you like this?" asked Lucas with difficulties, a bit out of breath.