Chapter 26 : Curse

The end of the second week was exhausting, especially for Beverly, Jane, and Lucas. They had more and more sessions, alone or with their lovers. But now they were all in direction of their homes. After five hours on the road, Max and Jane finally arrived. The apartment was empty. Max wasn't really surprised, it was still early, Abigail was certainly at work. The redhead had a long sigh with her mouth, exhausted and relieved to be finally home.

- "You should take a shower and take some rest," said Max.

- "Okay..." answered sheepishly Jane.

The brunette had slow and heavy steps to the corridor, before closing the door behind her. Max collapsed on her couch, her coat, shoes, and bags still on her. She was empty; those weeks totally wore her out! She fell asleep without knowing it.

Abigail arrived a bit later, followed by Troy. When she opened the door, she wasn't expecting to see Max this early.

- "They're back!" stated happily Abigail with her voice down.

- "She seems exhausted," told Troy.

- "She is. Stay here, I'm gonna check Jane."

The blonde girl let her friend in the living-room before going to the corridor, until the other girl's room. The door was ajar; she could see Jane laying down on her bed, facing it, wearing a black hood. Abigail slowly entered and heard some light snores. She didn't know why but Abigail was happy to see them; she was feeling safe with them, they saved her life. And, when Jane was sleeping, she seemed peaceful; so peaceful that she could forget she was sick. She went back in the living-room with a soft smile, before sitting next to Max. The movement woke the girl up.

- "Shit, Abigail! You scared me! I thought I was still driving!" told the redhead.

- "Well, you should be happy I woke you up if you were driving!" joked Abigail.

Max playfully rolled her eyes.

- "Oh, hey Troy! What's up?"

- "Nothing more than last time. Don't be mad, but I stole your waitress!" answered the man.

- "Really?" frowned Max. "What happened?"

- "Nothing, really," said Abigail with a shaking voice.

The redhead frowned more. She looked at Troy who gulped with difficulties before turning to Abigail who seemed embarrassed.

- "God, Abigail! What happened to you!? What did they do to you!?"

- "Nothing, I'm fine, don't worry..."

- "No, no you're not! Something happened, I can see it on your face! Jane had and still has the same expression as you, and something happened to her every time! Don't keep it for yourself, we can help you!"

- "Why would you want to help me!?" stated Abigail with tears in her eyes and bitterness in her voice. "I'm just a piece of garbage, I treated your friends and girlfriend like shit, I helped Alban to hurt her because everyone preferred her than me, I even told your step-father about you and her to get rid of her! I don't deserve your help, I still don't understand why Jane took me here!"

- "I...Well, because Jane is the kind of person to help people in need, and she forgave you for what you did."

- "But why!?"

- "Because hurt people hurt people."

- "What?"

- "That's what she said, after you talked about your dead sister, Jane understood that something was not okay for you, that, maybe, you were missing your sister so much that all you could feel was anger and pain, and she thought too that your sister was the only person paying attention to you, and losing her made you lose attention, so you tried to find it again, in your own way. That's why she forgave you, because she knows how it is to lose the person who loves you the most," explained Max.