Chapter 52 bis : Hospital (alternative ending)

The redhead was walking quickly in the white halls of the hospital. The ambulance miraculously made beat Jane's heart again. She couldn't believe it; it was so unbelievable! She lost so much blood that Max was wondering if she would wake up. But, at least, she was alive.

She arrived in the room. It was quiet, with only the beeps of the machines. Jane was laying down, her eyes closed. She could breath by herself now, which was a good thing. After three weeks in the coma, things were getting better. They arrested Daniel who would spend his entire life in jail, far from Jane. She couldn't believe he was Alban's brother and was doing all of this to take revenge of his brother's suicide four years ago. She sat next to her, as usual, and began to tell her her day, hoping she could hear her from where she was.

Something moved. Max stood, looking closely at her girlfriend's face. She was trying to open her eyes. The redhead called a doctor before going back near the brunette.

- "Jane, Jane! Can you hear me!?"

Jane mumbled some inaudible things.

- "You're here! You're alive!" stated the redhead with tears in her eyes.

- "Why wouldn't I?" asked Jane, opening her eyes with difficulties.

- "The doctor will tell you."

- "The doctor!? (straightens) Where the fuck am I!? In hospital!?"

- "Daniel shot you, you don't remember?"

- "Uuuuh...It's blurry...Oh! We were doing shopping!"

- "Yeah! Indeed! I'm so happy to see you!"

- "I always told you that shopping would kill me!" joked the brunette with a serious tone.

The redhead chuckled, letting fall some tears, before leaning to kiss her girlfriend. The doctor entered and examined the girl.

- "Can you feel here?" asked the man.

Jane frowned before sitting and looking at her feet. She shook her head to say no, feeling her heart racing and an awful sensation in her stomach.

- "Can you move your feet?"

Jane shook again her head to say no. The doctor continued along her legs to know the extent of the paralysis.

- "Well, that's what we were fearing. One of the bullets got through your spinal column and damaged your nerves."

- "I won't be able to walk again at all!?" asked Jane with an angry tone.

- "Your chances are negligible."

- "But, there are still chances, right?" told Max.

- "We have a good center of reeducation; she will have to follow a program. I let you some time to think about it."

The doctor left the room, letting the two girls alone.

- "Are you okay?" asked Max.

- "I fucking can't walk anymore! How do you think I am!?" replied angrily Jane.

- "Jane, no..."

- "What!? I can't do anything anymore! I don't wanna hear you tell me that everything will be okay because it's not true! I won't walk ever again!"

- "Maybe the reeducation-"

- "What reeducation!? My chances are negligible! It's already a waste of time! You know no shit about this! I would have preferred being killed than living this! FUCK!"

- "Jane..."

- "NO! SHUT UP! YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP! YOU STILL CAN WALK AND I CAN'T!"

Max felt her heart stopping. It was like before, again. She would be a ghost again, wandering in her own apartment while Jane would totally ignore her again. She didn't know if she could do it again; it was too hard. She couldn't let that happen. She grabbed Jane's face and got closer to her.

- "Yeah, I got it, you lost your legs, but I know you, you're strong, determined, I know you'll go to this reeducation, doing your best, seeing all the progress you're going to make, just because you won't walk like before doesn't mean you can't make any progress. I won't let you become like before, you were awful and odious, detestable, and I don't wanna live that again, I don't know if I'm capable to live that again. It's hard to swallow, for both of us, even if I still can walk, seeing you like will be hard for me too. This is unfair, you don't deserve it, but we will make it, because I love you and I know you love me too, even if for now, you don't feel anything else than hate, anger, pain, and sadness. I'll stay with you, no matter what, but, please, don't become like before, I'm tired to be a ghost."

- "I can't walk anymore..." told Jane with tears in her eyes.

- "I know, I'm sorry..." said Max, feeling her throat tightening.

Jane didn't try to hold her tears. Max wrapped her arms around her girlfriend's head and held it close to her body, trying to comfort her broken girlfriend. It was another obstacle, but the girls would pass through it, like they did after Somalia, like they always did when they had a problem. Max didn't know how they would do it, or if it would work, but she wasn't going to let Jane down, she knew she could do it.

- "I don't wanna be like that again..." sobbed Jane.

- "You won't, I know that."

- "I don't wanna hurt you..."

- "You won't, Jane, it's okay, don't worry, you'll be fine. I promise."

Max kept rubbing her girlfriend's back, hoping it would make her feel better. Jane managed to calm down, feeling completely empty. She was scared and more than disappointed. She couldn't be a cop anymore because of this asshole and she would have to live in a wheelchair for her entire life, it would be so hard, even for Max. She was going to be dependent of Max! Jane was sure she wouldn't support this, being dependent was the worst thing for her. Max broke the hug and sat next to her.

- "It's gonna be hard," said the redhead.

- "I know."

Max grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

- "I love you," told the redhead.

- "I love you too."

The two girls stayed together, swallowing this bad news. They stayed quiet, lost in their thoughts, scared of their futures. At least, they had a future, together, counting on each other.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N : Hi! So, this is the alternate ending, like that, Jane is still alive, and we're all relieved about this (especially me :p)

I've begun two other stories (less sad, I hope) but I don't know when I publish them yet, or which one I'll publish first, I want to take some advance before putting one on Wattpad.

I hope you liked it :)

Thanks for reading and letting comments :)

See you in another book :D

(There is a third ending after ;))