Chapter 21 : Old friends

The restaurant was having less and less customers. Abigail wasn't complaining, she was so tired that a little break wasn't a bad thing, but then? When Max came back she would lose her job? She didn't want this, this girl was suffering enough at home, she didn't need another problem like this. But a part of her was thinking that there were less customers because Max wasn't there to cook for them. The chef was so mad at all of them, none of the cooks were able to prepare something eatable, he didn't know how they graduated! And, to be honest, Abigail wondered too.

She kept going to work, knowing this restaurant was slowly sinking. At least it was giving her some experiences to help her to find another job and maybe to find a new apartment. She couldn't stay with Jane and Max forever, they needed to find each other again, and being the third wheel was certainly not helping them. She would talk about it with them.

She arrived at the restaurant, as usual. She went through the kitchen, where all the boys watched her ass and whistled at her like a damn dog, to join the locker room. She was feeling sick in this locker room, it reminded her High School and...No, she needed to stop thinking of it. While she was changing, she noticed a locker with a bit paint on it. When she approached, she looked through the small holes on it. It was empty, but the word painted on it was readable. "Dyke". It was Max's locker. "Dyke", it was typically the kind of words she was using to make Jane feel shitty, and it worked. It sadly worked.

- "You're missing your dyke friend?" mocked another waitress.

- "I don't know...I don't think I deserve their help," answered Abigail with a sad tone.

- "You're not scared to turn like them?"

- "They're not sick, they're just in love."

- "This is not love, I mean, it's kinda creepy to know that she could enjoy watching us changing right in front of us."

- "She is not. You painted insults on her locker and you really think she enjoys being here? The only reason she stays here it's only because she needs a job. She hates being here. And I thought Lisa was your friend?"

- "She was. It was different," told Victoria.

- "Why?" frowned the blonde girl.

- "She is not really into girls, she just thought it would be funny to have fun with her, but it doesn't excuse how Max treated her."

- "She chose her girlfriend, why is it so surprising!?"

- "Because it's not love, it's kink."

- "I used to think like that. I was wrong, I was completely wrong. There is no difference between Jane and Max and you and your boyfriend. It's just love! Why is it so hard to understand!?"

- "Why do you always defend them!? I mean, you don't seem to be friend with them!"

- "I know I'm not, I just think they have more value than all of you reunited. And her private life is nobody's business. I don't care if you don't like her, but not for this. Nobody deserves that."

- "You're a dyke too!?"

- "No, I'm not, but even if I was, it shouldn't be a problem! I'm here to serve, not to bang everyone! I don't care what you think of me, I heard worse."

There were too many young Abigail in this restaurant, she didn't know how Max could stay here without being crazy. She had always been a tough girl, she still was. But it didn't mean she had to live like that, with people like that.

She worked all day long. It was empty so she managed to take a break in the middle of the afternoon, in the same place where Max was taking hers. The other waitresses were there too with some of the cooks. They stayed in group while Abigail sat on the ledge of a condemned window, reading a magazine she found in the girls' apartment. It was a magazine about music, hard rock music, she was sure it was Jane's. She had good tastes. She stayed a moment discovering Jane's world, until she saw her co-workers going back inside. She sighed and stood, but Adam stopped her in her way.