Chapter 33 : Butterfly

Jane woke up in a start with a heavy breathing. She checked her legs to know if they were still there before rolling on her back and putting her hands on her face.

- "Fuck," lightly sighed the brunette.

- "Are you okay?" mumbled Max.

Jane had another start.

- "Shit, you scared me!"

- "Sorry," pouted the redhead.

- "It's fine. I didn't want to wake you up..."

- "It's okay, calm your breath."

- "I'm trying!"

Max rolled on her right side, lighted on the lamp on the nightstand, placed her hand on Jane's chest, and began to breath with her. Jane's fast breathing was calming, becoming slower.

- "Great, see? You did it," smiled Max.

- "Only thanks to you."

- "You still did it. You had another nightmare?"

- "Yeah...Since I went on this mine field weeks ago, I can't stop thinking that I could have lost my legs like Lucas!" explained Jane.

- "I know..."

- "I should maybe come with you tomorrow. Maybe seeing him will click something, I don't know..."

- "It's a good idea, I'm sure he'll be happy to see you."

- "Yeah...I'm not that sure..."

- "He always asked me how you are, I think he is not mad at you anymore."

- "I hope you're right."

- "I am."

Max quickly kissed her girlfriend before wetting a tissue and wiping Jane's sweat. When she finished, she noticed that Jane was looking at her with a smile.

- "What?" asked Max with an amused tone.

- "Nothing, I'm just admiring you."

- "Don't be stupid, it's the middle of night, I slept only a few hours, I certainly look like an old panda."

- "A hot old panda."

- "Pfff, stop that," chuckled the redhead.

Jane leaned and kissed her girlfriend passionately, sliding her hands under her tee-shirt. They, then, rolled, Max under Jane now. The redhead travelled her hands in Jane's hair while the brunette was bringing her hips closer to Max's. The redhead broke the kiss and gently pushed Jane.

- "We can't do that, Abigail is sleeping in the room next to ours," murmured Max.

- "She is a log!" answered Jane.

- "I don't wanna take the risk, it could be very embarrassing for her."

- "(sighs with her mouth) Why did we have to have a child!" joked Jane with an annoyed tone.

- "It was your idea," chuckled Max, lightly pressing Jane's nose.

- "Yeah, I'm too kind."

- "It wasn't a bad idea, she changed, because of you, it's a good thing."

- "Yeah, it is," smiled the brunette.

Jane kissed multiple times Max before rolling on her back. The two girls fell asleep again, frustrated but happy.

The next morning was hard. The two girls joined Abigail in the kitchen who prepared some coffee for them. Jane was sitting in front of the blonde girl while Max was standing, taking support on a piece of furniture.

- "If you were an animal, what would you be?" asked Abigail.

- "If you answer a pig, I kill you," told Jane.

- "She asked an animal you would be, not what you already are!" joked the redhead.

- "Haha."

- "But, to answer your question, Jane is definitely a cat."

- "Oh yeah, I was thinking the same!" said the blonde girl.

- "I can't deny it, I'm totally a cat!"

- "Always wants affection, hugs, kisses, and all," smiled Max.

- "Yeah, totally true! And what about Max? What would she be?"

- "A rat, always rejected of kitchens," chuckled Jane.

Max opened her mouth of shocked before gently pushing Jane's head and accompanying Abigail in her laugh.

- "That's so awful and so fucking true!" stated the redhead.

- "Yeah, I know," smiled the brunette. "But, more seriously, she would be a lioness."

- "A lioness?"

- "Yeah, you're strong, you're protecting, you don't hesitate to tell people what you think, and all those things."

- "Aww, that's cute!"

Max wrapped her arm around Jane's head and kissed the top of it.

- "And Abigail? What kind of animal would she be?" asked Max.

- "Something like a bird," answered Jane.

- "A bird?" frowned Abigail.

- "Yeah, always talking and all."

- "You're the worst person I know!"

- "I know," smiled Jane. "Or, you could be a butterfly."

- "A butterfly? It's interesting, but why?"

- "Because before you were a horrible caterpillar who turned into a nice butterfly."

- "Aw, Jane, you can be nice when you want!" joked Max.

- "I try!"

- "I know it will sound stupid, but I feel like it was a compliment," softly smiled Abigail.

- "It was."

The blonde girl smiled more but didn't dare to look at them. She wondered if they were considering her as their friend, but her, she was sure that they were her friends now.

- "You know," began Abigail, "I found an apartment to live and, don't panic if you still see me around, it's because I'm in the building in front of yours, but, I didn't want to go too far, having you next to me kinda reassure me, but...anyway, you're just finally finding each other again, and I don't want to block you from having private moments..."

- "I think she heard us," murmured Jane.

- "I told you she would!" replied Max.

- "It's fine, it's just, I had been looking for an apartment for a moment and I finally found one so, I won't be a burden for you anymore."

- "A burden!? You're not a burden, don't be stupid!"

- "Well, as I'm going to ask you to help me with furniture and all..."

- "Our child is growing up so fast!" joked Jane.

- "You never stop!" chuckled Max, giving a gently tap on her shoulder. "If you need help, we're here for you. And even after, I mean, you're still welcomed here!"

- "Really?" asked the blonde girl with a small voice.

- "Yeah, I mean, we're friends, right?"

- "Yeah, totally!"

Abigail was so happy to hear that, that she jumped from her chair to hug the two girls. It was the first time she had felt a true friendship in her entire life. Those two girls were actually caring of how she felt and ready to help her, no matter what, forgiving her for what she did. She didn't know where she would be without them. They saved her life.