Chapter 24 : Progress?

Jane, Beverly, and Lucas spent the night in another room. The professionals wanted to study how they slept and all, Max didn't really understand, but she hoped it would help them to have a better sleep. At least, she was able to sleep late. When she woke up, she had the reflex to see how Jane was, but she wasn't there. It was certainly better like that, after all these emotions the day before, staying with professionals used to this kind of situation would help Jane more than staying with Max who didn't know what to do.

After a long moment doing nothing in her bed, Max decided to go to the cafeteria for a breakfast. She wasn't really hungry, but she hoped she would see Moussa and Gabrielle, to know how they were. But no one was here, but she had the surprise to see Jane at a table with some nurses with her. The women saw her and invited her to come, letting the two girls alone.

- "Hey," said softly Max.

- "Hey," answered Jane with a small voice.

- "How was your night?"

- "I had cables all over my head, I felt like a damn lab rat."

- "You didn't sleep?"

- "They gave me something to sleep, but I had like...four nightmares and I tried to punch one of the doctors."

- "Tough night," stated the redhead.

- "Yeah..."

Max felt stupid. She didn't know why she thought she would feel better in one night! Just hearing someone talking about your problems didn't solve them. Jane was still looking around when not being lost in her thoughts, and her hands seemed to shake more than before. Jane was vulnerable now, and her body was showing it.

- "Did you eat?"

Jane nodded.

- "What did you eat?"

- "Uh...a bar, cereal bar, I guess and...orange juice, I think," frowned Jane, unsure.

Max nodded. A nurse came to them and asked Jane to come for a session, letting Max alone. She looked at her tray and realized she wasn't hungry at all. She began to understand how bad the situation was, like if she needed to see Jane this morning to see it wouldn't be easy. She felt sick and sad. But she was joined by Moussa and Gabrielle.

- "Oh, hi," said the redhead. "How do you do to be always together?"

- "Our rooms are close by," explained Moussa. "We knocked at your door, but you weren't there, so we thought you were here, and there we are."

- "Okay..."

- "Are you okay?"

- "Yeah, yeah, it's just...I just saw Jane and...I don't know how she could feel better..."

- "That's why we're here, we just need to let them do their jobs."

- "But, after? When we're back, what are we supposed to do?"

- "I don't know, but I don't think they'll let us leave without giving us some advice, right Gab?"

- "Yeah, yeah," sighed the black-haired girl.

- "You're okay? You look angry!"

- "Well, I can't stop thinking of the reason why Sinclair lost his leg."

- "Oh, what happened?" asked Max.

- "Well, to be clear, your girlfriend decided to do what the hell she wanted, and he tried to save her," explained sharply Gabrielle.

- "Wait, you're blaming Jane now!?"

- "She has her part of responsibilities."

- "You're kidding me!? You didn't hear the part where she got raped!? Maybe she lost her mind, but I thought you could understand that! It's like if I'm blaming Bev for asking for help! It doesn't make sense! And if you wanna play this with me, don't forget that Jane wanted to use the other road, but your boyfriend preferred choosing his ego than his common sense!"