Meeting Ryanne

Obi POV

Master has sent me to the nearby village to collect an herb order that the Chief Herbalist placed with the village herbalist. Apparently there are some herbs that don't grow properly in the greenhouses so they source them or they don't have a large enough supply for what they need. He told me how to get there and to behave while I'm there. Like I'm anything but a perfect gentleman. I chuckle at the thought as I pass through the trees. Normally, I'd absolutely love being out, but it's cold and there's a layer of snow on the trees. Winter has always been my least favorite of the seasons despite how pretty the snow is.

I drop down from the trees as I come upon the dirt path Master told me about. The trees should end soon and I'll find a bunch of garden plots with a cottage against the far tree line. He's right so far as the trees end and I pass two empty plots before noticing a young woman up ahead kneeling in front of another garden plot pulling plants. Despite the cold, she's not wearing a hat, gloves, or even a coat, just an over-sized blue sweater and pants. He never told me who the herbalist was or what they looked like, so I guess I'll have to ask her.

"Excuse me Miss, are you the village herbalist?"

She turns her head toward me slightly but doesn't look up as her hands work with a small band she's securing around a batch of herbs. She stands afterward and brushes the snow from her knees then grabs her basket.

"Yes, are you here to pick up or to request?" Her silver eyes focus on me for a second.

"I'm here to pick up for Wistal Castle, Miss."

"Please, call me Ryanne." She smiles up at me before turning toward the cottage up ahead. "Follow me, the order is ready back at the cottage."

I offer to carry the basket for her as we walk but she politely turns it down. I take it anyway, feeling bad for not helping and she thanks me before offering a cup of tea since it's cold. As nice as it sounds since I'm practically shivering, I turn her down because I don't want to inconvenience her.

"It's no trouble at all. My kettle is whistling already." She hums.

I open the door for her and my eyes widen slightly as I realize that she is right, there's a kettle whistling somewhere in the cottage. She takes off her shoes so I follow suit and my eyes wander the cottage as I follow her into the kitchen. It looks pretty organized, everything placed properly, but there are plants everywhere on tables or hanging from the ceiling.

"Feel free to come in and take a seat." She calls to me as she messes with the stove. "Do you have a preference on flavor? If not, judging by the slight rattle in your chest, you're developing a cold so I would recommend peppermint if you like it."

I stare at her curiously as I take a seat at the table. How could she tell? I'd barely noticed the rattle myself, and how did she know the kettle was ready? I ask her about it and she surprises me with her words.

"I'm a witch." She chuckles.

With the way her cottage looks and her ability to predict things like that, she just might be, but she goes on to explain that she'd set the water before she left and has it timed out properly and she could simply hear the strain in my breathing.

I watch her run her fingers over a series of small identical jars on her counter, the only differences being small charms tied to the lids. I ask her to call me Obi since she keeps calling me Sir whenever we talk. Sir sounds way too professional. She asks me to find her jar of peppermint since she can't, so I stand beside her and immediately find the jar but it's out of alphabetical order with the rest and the charm is missing.

"Oh, thank you. It must not have been put back in the proper spot..." She mumbles. "Do you add anything to your tea?"

"No, this is fine. Thank you." I take the cup and she excuses herself to the next room.

Something is off about her and not exactly in a bad way I don't think, I just haven't quite figured it out yet.

She returns to the kitchen with the order for the castle, apologizing for taking so long. I thank her again for the tea and tell her that it's nice, because even though it's just tea leaves in water, it actually tastes good. I typically hate peppermint.

"Mistress Rya!?" A childlike voice calls out and Ryanne sighs and offers me an apology. For what?

Two seconds later, I have to catch her to keep her from crashing into the table as a young girl with honey brown hair slams into her.

"Aeri, please lower your voice and do not run. We have a guest." Ryanne tells her and the girl apologizes to both of us, then tells her that she shouldn't be moving around and resting instead.

To my surprise, Ryanne lies to her about leaving the cottage as she sits beside me and accepts her tea from the girl. I hold back a laugh and wait to see what happens. The girl points out the basket and calls her out for lying.

"You were so close." I snicker.

She gets Aeri to leave by reminding her of her duties.

After Aeri leaves the room, Ryanne sighs as she rubs her head and apologizes again. Apparently Aeri is her hyperactive young apprentice. She's younger than Ryuu by a year apparently.

"So why was she upset about you being outside?"

"I've been doing some research and testing when I'm not filling orders. I started a new test last night and we are tracking possible side effects."

"What are you testing?" The herbalists back at the castle test things all the time like new medicines and... did she just say poison?

She laughs at my expression and assures me that there's an antidote on standby and she's only having spasms randomly. Like that's a normal occurrence. She concerns me already and I barely know her. She gets a strange look on her face a moment later and calls for Aeri to bring her notebook. The book thumps onto the table and Aeri pushes a pen into her hand.

"Right arm paralyzed... Ten hours post administration..." She mumbles under her breath.

How is she so calm?