Matchmaker Garak

Obi POV

I talk with Ryanne and Aeri for a little while longer and make sure that the herbalist isn't going to somehow die, then realize that I've been here for two hours. Ryanne offers to walk me out but I tell her not to worry about it since she just almost died about ten minutes ago but she insists, claiming that she has another garden to harvest anyway. She arranges a lunch with Aeri and the overly excited girl jumps up and down asking if she can peel the potatoes. After telling her that they'll see, I follow Ryanne toward the door.

"Goodbye Sir! It was great to meet you! Come back any time!" Aeri cheers and I offer her a smile in response.

Ryanne and I walk in silence and I notice her looking up at me curiously. A black cat darts into the path, avoiding me and heading directly for her feet. She trips over it and I quickly catch her and she apologizes as I help her upright. She sighs and asks if it was a fluffy black cat.

"Yes. He ran right out in front of you. It was strange."

"That cat seems to have it out for me. Herron and I battle it out every day just about, but Aeri loves him dearly so I can't deny his presence." She explains, then shakes her head. "I apologize again for the events of this morning. It's usually not this chaotic and troublesome around here, I swear."

"It's quite alright. With the exception of you almost scaring me to death back there, it was actually rather enjoyable." I chuckle. "It's a welcome break from the routine of the castle."

She seems happy about that and I suddenly realize what was off about her.

"Miss, can I ask you something?" I ask as we stop in front of the garden she needs.

"Yes of course. Feel free to ask anything."

"A-Are you blind?"

Ryanne tenses before smiling. She turns toward me and I start to apologize but she shakes her head and holds up a hand to silence me.

"You're the first to notice so your question took me by surprise, that's all. I am not fully blind but my eyesight is deteriorating."

"So you can still see?"

She turns toward the sky as the sun comes out from behind the clouds.

"If you'd like, if you come again I will talk with you more about it. I hate that I've been keeping you from your duties."

"Sounds like a plan, Miss. Just please don't poison yourself before then."

I thank her for the tea and medicine and tell her to take care of herself again before leaving. I head back toward the castle and try to process the interesting morning I just had. None of that was what I expected when I was sent to pick up herbs.

I make it to the medical building about an hour later and hand the packet of herbs over to Garak. She thanks me and as she starts to work on something, she asks if anything interesting happened on my trip. Her tone sounds suspicious and I narrow my eyes at her.

"Why do you ask?"

"Oh, no reason." She hums and I sigh.

"You know Miss Ryanne don't you?"

"Of course I do. Very sweet girl. Her whole setup out there is rather intriguing isn't it?"

"I think everything I encountered out there was that way... It was like a whole separate world out there."

"Time does seem to move differently there. You know there is a rumor that she's actually a witch? Half of the villagers love her, the rest are terrified."

I chuckle. "I had the same impression of her. She confused me when we first met in her gardens by saying her tea kettle was whistling before we even got there. She also said I was developing a cold. She seems a little... unusual."

"Her senses have always been a little stronger than most, likely at your level except for her eyesight but she's harmless really."

"To everything but herself it seems. I may have had to save her life while I was there."

"Research? I swear she takes some unnecessary risks."

"Master said you requested me personally to go pick up the herbs. Is there any particular reason?" I ask as I lean against her desk.

"I just thought you could use some time out of the castle..." She very obviously lies.

"Are you trying to set me up with her or something?"

"Not at all. Is it working?"

I leave the medical building and shake my head. Garak had discovered my feelings for Shirayuki a while back and I guess this is her way of trying to mess with me. Doesn't she have anything better to do with her time though? I'm not interested in finding anyone and I've already shoved my feelings for Shirayuki aside for and Master to be together. I'd do anything for Master... I look toward the greenhouses and find Shirayuki walking out with Ryuu. She is so beautiful. I sigh and tear my gaze away and continue on my path to report to Master that I'm back. Maybe he will have something for me to do to occupy my time.

Master has absolutely nothing for me to do and it's cold and boring. I hate it. I curl up in the window of his office and sigh. I feel something in my back pocket and dig it out. It's that tin of medicine Ryanne gave me for my cough. I'd almost forgotten about them. I open the tin and pull out a small red object that looks like a hard candy. I've never seen anything like it. I sniff it curiously and it smells like cherries and a hint of something minty. I pop it into my mouth and it takes a second to get used to the flavor and slight burn but after a few minutes I feel my throat not feel so scratchy. Interesting.

"Hey Obi, what's that?" Mitsuhide asks as I fidget with the tin.

"Oh, just some medicine the herbalist in the village gave me."