chapter two: memorial.

Symphony - Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larson.

Chapter 2.

PRESENT

MY HOUSE was filled with flowers. People sent me messages of condolence.

This wasn't how everything was meant to be. Timothy wasn't meant to die. We would have spent this summer. Another summer partying, running around and hiding because my mom could never accept him.

He shouldn't have died in that gas explosion in his house one year ago.

I placed a bouquet of flowers in front of the gravestone, my eyes watery. It was his first memorial and I couldn't deny the fact that my life died with him. I was now homeschooled, rarely saw my friends or got out of the house.

My mom was worried.

Dammit, everyone was worried about me. Everyone still gave me a pity face whenever they saw me. It was like I would break any time soon.

Everyone had left the memorial but I stayed behind. The rain pelted down, causing everyone to raise their umbrellas in the sky, shielding themselves so as to avoid getting wet. I didn't mind getting soaked, I refused to use any umbrella. I refused to go home.

I sat down in front of the gravestone, tingling sensations came from the drops of rain that hit my skin. Tears flowed down my face as I stared at the gravestone.

TIMOTHY DANIELS

2000-2018.

I sobbed into my hands and cried even more as a memory came to mind. Tim had always joked about how he wanted to die.

In water. He had suggested.

He had loved the ocean and had learnt to swim and surf. He believed since everything he loved to do dealt with water, it was only fair he died where water was.

"Don't be jealous," he had teased me. "But the mermaids will be all over me."

I had always slapped his arm and told him not to ever talk about dying and he had always said;

"So, no mermaids then?"

I was never going to find anyone like him.

When I got home, soaked to the bone I had gone to the patio and jumped in the swimming pool, something I haven't done in a while. Chlorine flooded my body.

I stayed for a little longer than normal. Tim and I always had an argument about who could stay under water the longest and he always won of course. He was the captain of the school's swim team after all. I couldn't beat him but that didn't mean I stopped trying.

Then, it might have been an illusion, maybe a trick of the light, but I saw him.

I saw Timothy.

-----

Thanks for reading this chapter.

Remember to Vote, comment and share. This book isn't as heavy as you think it'll be. It's actually fun if you keep reading.

Much love,

Oyin.