chapter eight: a friendly gesture.

friends - Justin Bieber.

Chapter 8.

FOR THE first time in the summer, I was by the pool and not in it. Not spouting water.

I turned to another page of the book that rested on my legs. I stayed under the shade with an orange juice to my right. When I heard the sound of the French door, I looked up. And as I had thought, it was Alec.

He had on a tank top with his usual floral shorts and flip flops. The person that arranged his wardrobe was definitely involved in fashion that rested between not trying to much and looking so fucking superb!

"Hey!" He greeted from the other side of the pool, grinning at me. His hands were on his hips.

"Hey." I greeted, my eyes following him as he walked over to me.

"Whatcha doing?"

I brandished the book. "Reading."

He squinted at the book, cocking his head to one side. "One Of Us Is Lying?" He read out. "Really?"

I shrugged. "What? I like the book."

He ran his hand through his hair. For the first time I wanted to run my hands through it, I bet it was soft with the way it perfected conformed whichever way Alec chose it to be.

"As long as you're not jumping in the pool,"he said, putting his backpack on the terrace. "I'm okay."

I eyed the backpack. It had the picture of Iron Man on it. "Iron Man, seriously?"

Alec's eyes snapped back to mine. "What's up with Iron Man?"

"You people that cried when he died," I shuddered. "Whatever."

"Um," he grinned down at me. "He's an awesome man, real funny. Real smart."

"Oh gee. He's so smart," I said in a baby voice and he gave me a look. "Oh, come on. My friend, Sadie, watched The Flash and commented on how smart Barry Allen was but didn't learn anything he said about things like Chemistry."

"Um, she was probably too busy," he sat on one of the recliners, "admiring his beauty. The guy's pretty legit though."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

His eye brows pinched as he looked at me. "Dude, is it just me or do you hate smart guys?"

"No, I just feel reading a novel is better, you know? I mean in that way you're gaining knowledge and enjoying."

He turned in his seat to face me. "Um, some movies are really educative. Every movie has something to offer for knowledge."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm gonna jump in the pool today."

He gave me devastated look. "Why?" He whined.

"Because my mom is paying you to save me. You can't waste that money."

"Oh, so you now value the money, huh?"

"Hey," I closed the book, since I wasn't reading it again anyways, and turned to face him. Alec had my full attention. He had on an amused look. He was enjoying our childish bickering. "You're the one who told me to value it."

Alec nodded and gave me a two fingered salute. "You're the boss."

I smiled and stood up. "Good."

"But," he stopped me from my mission. "Before you go, I'll like to give you–" He dug his hand into his backpack. "This." He brought out a seashell.

I took the seashell and examined it. "A seashell?"

He gave me a blank look. "I know what it is." He deadpanned.

"Oh, of course. But why are you giving it to me?"

"It's my friendly gesture." He said and I raised an eyebrow but kept quiet, nodding as a way to urge him to continue. "It's my way of saying “hey wanna be friends?”" He looked at me, nervous about my answer already.

Friends.

"Yeah, sure." I dropped the seashell on the table.

He looked at me then pointed at the seashell I just dropped. "What? You don't like it?"

"I don't want it to get lost. It's not nice to lose what your friend gave you."

He grinned. "Yeah, but it's a swimming pool."

"Still. I don't want to crack. It'll spoil the beauty." We shared a smile. "Now, to represent the money."

I walked to the edge of the pool and dived.

_____

Is it just me or are Alec and Mabel just cuuute?! I hope it's not me hyping it. If you feel the same way, comment!

And, Mabel, I cried when Iron Man died. You don't have to be so mean about it. (This is me talking to a fictional character, right? They did say I was losing my mind…)

Okay, watching Shadowhunters and I love Jace! God, he's so hot! Well, you wanna find out? Watch it for yourself.

Much love,

Oyin.