chapter seven: the apology.

look at her now - Selena Gomez.

Chapter 7.

PUSHING OPEN the French door, I walked out of the house and into the hot courtyard.

I suddenly realized just how hot this summer was, using my hand to block my face from harsh rays of the sun. I wonder how he was able to stay in the sun this long. But judging by the nice tan he had, I'd guess this isn't his first time. I started walking towards Alec, my hands tucked into my pocket.

"You want to get more tan or what?" I hit his arm playfully.

His biceps were goals. Oh, Lord, what's wrong with me today?

He faced me, his eyes having the look of a lost puppy as he was confused at my comment. Cute.

"Mmm?"

"Like why are you staying in the sun this long? Are you trying to get fried? Or tanned more than you already are?" I asked, using my hand to shield my eyes from the sun.

"Um," he gutted his chin towards at the dollar bills spread all over the recliner. "Just keeping a promise."

I nodded, feeling more awful. "Um, want to go to the not-so-sunny-side of the courtyard?" I asked pointing to where there was a shade with three recliners.

He shrugged and taking that as a yes, I led the way. I settled into a recliner then tapped the other one, signalling for him to seat.

"See," he started to say, his hands raking through his hair. "If you're looking to give me an earful for throwing the money-"

"I wanted to apologize."

His head snapped to face me. "What?" He asked, a small smile playing on his lips.

"I'm sorry for how I acted."

"Uh-huh." He looked at me, skeptically. "Why don't I believe you, Carter? The next thing I know you're throwing a chain saw down your window to cut me in half."

I sighed, my mouth twitching. "You've been watching too much T.V."

"Nothing left to do."

"But seriously–" There was no easy way to explain this. "I am sorry. I wasn't always like this, you know?"

"Actually," he drawled. "I don't." Before I could respond, he beat me to talking. "You're the girl right?"

My eyes snapped to his. "Which girl?"

He paused, trying to make his next words sound as nice as they could. "The one whose boyfriend died?"

My breath hitched in my throat. When I didn't respond he continued, desperate to solve me as a mystery.

He pushed away his hair from his eyes. "All the shenanigans, it's because of your boyfriend, isn't it?"

I froze.

How did he know all this? Yes, Timothy was popular but I haven't been out much since he died and I didn't know the story was widespread like that.

"Um, the news spread fast." Alec explained, aware of my confusion.

I nodded. "Yeah. Kinda, I guess."

But it wasn't kinda. That was the reason for every crazy thing I've been doing.

I sighed and looked at the pool. "It looks even more beautiful now that you've cleaned it."

Alec grinned. His first grin at me.

It was either he was nervous or looking tired or angry or we were in a scowling competition. So how grin was a surprise. I surprised myself even more.

I grinned back.

"Don't you dare," he warned playfully.

I stood up. "I make no promises," I sang. "Bye Alec."

"Bye."

I walked towards the house, this time not in anger but with a pleased feeling.

____

Much love for Selena Gomez and her new songs!

Girl is on fire!

Well, not much to say, buddies. But please; vote, comment and share. 

Much love,

Oyin.