chapter fifteen: pool.

electricity - Dua Lipa.

(I never thought I'll ever get to chapter 15! Thank you guys for the love and support. Updates will now be Fridays only. Happy new year 🎉🎊
This is to 2020!)

Chapter 15.

I STARED at the empty hole in front of me.

My hands rested on my laps and my lips were thinned as they pressed against each other. Why would she do this?

It wasn’t like I had any intention of jumping into the pool again. Ever since I saw Alec in the water I had no intention whatsoever to jump into the swimming pool and now my mom had drained the pool, leaving nothing but an unfilled hole.

“Hey, Mabel.” I heard and I turned my head to the side to see who it was.

It was Alec.

An unexplainable easy smile came to my face. I was suddenly happier that he was here.

“Hey.” I greeted as he sat in the recliner. He looked at the pool and frowned. “My mom drained the pool,” I said and he nodded.

“I know. Maddie just told me your mom said my services are no longer needed.”

My heart dropped and I was suddenly even sadder than I was before. It was for a reason I couldn’t explain. I had thought Alec would be happy that the water wasn’t there and all we’ll do all day was talk.

I’d forgotten he was the lifeguard. He wasn’t really a babysitter.

“Yeah,” I managed to say, surprised at how hoarse my voice sounded.

He looked at me and I could swear I had never seen his eyes so blue. My breath hitched in my throat before I broke the eye contact. I cleared my throat.

“So,” I drawled. “Whatcha gonna do now?”

“Um,” he chuckled. “I really don’t know.”

I nodded, turning to face him. “No one ever does right?”

He scoffed and faced me. “Yeah, right. You look like you’ve got everything figured out.”

I gasped dramatically, placing my hand to my chest. “Well, maybe. But it is only in the aspect of career. From in here, I’m pretty sure I haven’t figured out important thing.”

He rested his head and stayed still. I have never seen someone so beautiful. God, it killed me that I thought this about him. He probably didn’t feel the same way about me.

Before my thoughts could settle his blue eyes snapped to mine and my brown ones widened slightly.

He smirked at me. “Take a picture. It’ll last longer.”

I rolled my eyes but that didn’t stop heat rising to my cheeks and neck and the smile that came after. “Can I ask you something?”

He nodded, suddenly serious. “Yeah, sure.”

“Can you come tomorrow? For me?”

I knew it was selfish and he probably going to say no but I still wanted to see him, even if it was one more time.

He nodded, his eyes holding a new and deep feeling to it. “For you? Anything.”

____

I started writing on my laptop today. Dad just got it for me of recent and I couldn't not wait to write on it. Plus, I've always had a thing for the laptop's quotation marks.

Well, till the end of this book, you're gonna be seeing more of this.

Fun fact: I wrote from chapter fifteen to twenty one in one day! December 15, 2019. Let that day be remembered!

I just couldn't withhold the idea.

And I think Alec's pretty much a women guy. That last line? Smooth! Dude. I doubt he has said that to anyone but Mabel, but still he's one to sweettalk for sure.

Please vote, comment and share this story.

Much love,

Oyinkansola.