chapter nine: sadie watkins.

dance monkey - Tones and I.

Chapter 9.

I MOVED around in my bed, in urgent need to shut the continuous sound that disturbed my sleep.

It was my alarm clock that was vibrating and ringing continuously. But that was exactly the problem; I never set an alarm so there must be a reason I did today. I stared at the ceiling, trying to gather my thoughts.

Why the alarm?

My mind was blank. I pulled off my duvet and comforter then sat upright, still groggy from sleep. Alec doesn't arrive till ten o'clock and there was no way I would have set an alarm for him.

I staggered to the bathroom and took out my brush and toothpaste. Spreading the toothpaste, my eyes went to the sticky note I had pasted on my mirror yesterday night.

Since you're forgetful, I'll write this. Sadie is coming back! Nine thirty.

My eyes flew wide open. I was suddenly awake. Very wide awake.

Sadie Watkins was my best friend. She was a redhead beauty with awesome blue eyes. Unlike me, Sadie was tall. She had flown to Maine for a little time this summer and was coming back.

My gossip girl was coming back.

She was the real reason I knew everything that happened outside my house walls. And she was coming today.

Nine thirty.

I rushed through the morning things; brushing, bathing, dressing and eating. By nine thirty I was outside the door, awaiting Sadie. And as promised, Sadie strolled into the house. She was always punctual. Never late. Plus, the traffic here wasn't hectic, even during summer.

"Hey!" I yelled.

We both screamed, running towards each other till we met and hugged. It was an old habit and quite silly but we still did it. To pass across just how happy we were with each other's presence.

"Oh, God." She moaned, drawing back. "I missed you, babe, and your hair," She packed my afro hair into her hand and kissed it.

"Thanks. I missed you too."

Before I knew it, Sadie was already telling me what happened in Maine. So, she met this guy and he was really into her but since she wasn't staying long she didn't bother to start a relationship even though she was interested.

"Oh, Sadie." I watched her stuff her face with muffins. "You should have at least agreed. You guys can be video calling when you get here."

She shrugged, swallowing a mouthful of muffins. "I mean on a scale from zero to Barry Allen," I rolled my eyes, "he's not that fine."

"You still should have gone out with him."

"On a scale, again, from Zero to Barry Allen, he's not so smart either."

This what what she did whenever she wanted to convince herself that the opportunity she missed wasn't really that much of an opportunity. She used Barry Allen, since that was the most handsome person she knew and the smartest. And meeting him was the best opportunity she could get.

"Yeah," I drawled. "But it's not like you'll meet Barry Allen, per se."

"Ugh! I would meet him one day."

"Yeah, probably Grant Gustin. Never Barry Allen."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "If he's on set. I meet Barry Allen in that way."

I rolled my eyes but before I could respond, the door opened revealing a familiar brunette. His hair was in it's usual waves and he had on a blue hoodie, that covered his hair and only leaving the front parts, another amazing red colored shorts and air pods stuck in his ears.

"Hey, Alec!" I greeted, giving him a small wave.

Why I was suddenly happy to see him? I have no idea.

"Hey," he sent me a grin, removing a pod. His gaze landed on Sadie.

"Um, this is Sadie." I introduced, shaking Sadie. "Sadie, Alec."

Unusually, Sadie was frozen. Her jaw was dropped and so was the remainder of the muffin she was munching on earlier.

"Sadie?" I called, closing her mouth.

"Hi, Sadie." Alec waved, trying to make the situation less awkward. After a while he jabbed his thumb in the direction of the courtyard and I knew what he meant.

I nodded. "Sorry about Sadie. She's not usually like this."

Alec shrugged. "I'm used to it. Neither of you are."

I sent him a glare but he grinned at me then walked to the courtyard. I turned to look at Sadie. I shook her. "Sadie!"

She coughed and I gave her the glass of water that was on the table. "Yeah?"

"What happened? You just froze. I was introducing you to a friend."

She looked at me, eyes wide. "A friend?"

I nodded. "I know it's weird but yeah. The first friend I've made since I've been indoors. Except that creepy boy that lives next doors and try to prove every day that he's richer because he drives a fucking Rolls Royce and wears Rolex. He might be but I've got a black card." I shrugged, taking a deep breath since I've been rambling. "So I'm good. But then the guy is creepy–"

"You mean to tell me the Alec Knight is your friend?"

"Uh, yeah. Don't worry, you're my one and only best friend."

"No, babe, that's not what I'm talking about. Of course I'm your only best friend."

"So, what are you talking about?"

"That is the guy in school that I told you all girls like. You know-"

"The handsome, smart and funny one?"

"Yeah?"

"The one on the swim team and is making guys lose their girlfriends?"

"Mhn-mm."

"The smoking hot one?" I asked trying to be sure of what she was saying. I looked through the French door into the courtyard. "I didn't know– he's my lifeguard."

And yes, I have noticed he is hot. I just tried not to think about it. We were friends after all, if those thoughts start to come and I start having a crush on him, things will never be the same.

"I mean how did you get to be at home all the time and still land the hottest guy in school." She mulled. I rolled my eyes. "Hey!"

I was still looking out the French door. "Mmm?"

"He's hot, isn't he?"

My eyes snapped back to Sadie. I narrowed my eyes, considering her question.

He was though but…

"He's an idiot!"

_____

I love Sadie!

I just keep falling in love with this characters every single time.

Remember to Vote, comment and share. Point out grammatical errors too.

Much love,

Oyin.