A Painful Truth

Nightmare and the others sat in the living room, barely withholding laughter as Dream sat at the kitchen counter, his head down and arms limp. Killer coughed and managed to speak. "Dream, seriously, it's okay."

"No!! It's not!! I've never missed a day of school in my life!! I'm practically a delinquent!" Dream yelled, holding his head as he refused to look at them. Dust snorted and turned away, covering his mouth. Killer choked a bit more before shaking his head.

"Dream, you aren't a delinquent." Killer said, leaning against the living room table. Dream didn't even bother to lift his head.

"Yes I AM." He said, his voice becoming muffled by the counter. Nightmare's tentacles were curled around himself as he struggled to not burst into laughter. Cross sat next to him, clearly amused by the golden skeleton's mental breakdown. Nightmare finally cleared his throat.

"When your phone is recharged, just email the school and tell them what happened." Nightmare said, shrugging. Dream kept his head down against the table.

"But it's forever going to be marked as an UNEXCUSED ABSENCE." Dream wailed. They all withheld laughter once more, Cross having to physically hold back laughter as he rolled off the couch, shaking. He curled up on the floor. That only made the others want to laugh harder.

Nightmare glanced over at Dust and raised a brow. "Dust? You good??" He asked, scoffing a bit. The other had tears running down his face as he shook. Dust squeezed his eyes shut and gave a shaky thumbs up. Nightmare snorted. Killer kept a hand over his mouth to hide his smile. His SOUL had finally returned to its target shape and the rings in his eyes were gone. Nightmare sighed. "Dream, it isn't that bad-"

"It's going to go on my PERMANENT RECORD, brother!" Dream yelled. Nightmare raised an eyebrow and tipped his head, but Killer spoke for him.

"So what?" He asked, a barely restrained grin on his face. Dream turned and glared at them with teary golden eyes. Killer shrugged, sitting back. "Dream, all of us have CRIMINAL records." He pointed out. Dream opened his mouth to say something before huffing and crossing his arms, shaking his head as he turned away.

"But I don't! I care about this stuff!!" He said. "It's going to stain my record!!"

"Dude, I stained my record by being born." Killer said, shrugging and causing chuckles from everyone but Dream. Dream turned his head away, wiping his tears.

Cross got up from the floor, his face purple from holding in laughter. He coughed and cleared his throat. He couldn't help it and broke into a little, wheezy bit of laughter before sighing and looking over at Nightmare. "Has anyone checked up on Horror?" Nightmare blinked and shook his head. Everyone but Killer glanced at Dream. "Dream." Cross stated. Dream blinked and turned to them, still seeming angry with them.

"Can you go check on Horror? Make sure he's still alive?" Nightmare asked, his tentacles flicking lazily. Dream sighed and got up from the stool. He disappeared into the hall where Horror's room was and Nightmare turned back to the other's. "Hopefully they don't decide to make out this time."

Both Cross and Dust chuckled. Nightmare blinked as he felt a sudden coldness and looked over at Killer. "Killer?" The other had frozen, his face blank.

"What?" He asked, clearly not understanding. Dust spoke up.

"I saw Dream and Horror making out when I went to see how the healing was going yesterday." Dust told him. Killer blinked and to their collective shock, Killer's SOUL suddenly flickered, sputtering for a moment. When Killer spoke, his voice was strained.

"Oh." He said. He seemed shell-shocked. Nightmare blinked and raised a brow. He could feel something rippling out from Killer now. Pain? Nightmare furrowed his brow as Killer blinked and managed a weak grin before standing up. "I... I'm gonna go upstairs and nap for a bit." He said. He made his way over to the stairs, stopping for a moment.