A Hated Idea

Nightmare blinked and his fingers tapped against the table. He was staring intently outside. Lunch had ended. Blue and Dream had both left, both to go look for Ink. Cross hadn't returned yet. He jumped as he heard footsteps and looked up as Toriel came in, pushing Cross in front of her. "You could get in serious trouble!" She was scolding him.

Cross ducked his head and replied politely. But it was obvious to anyone else watching that he really didn't give a shit. He returned to his seat, where his last chocolate milk was sitting. He opened it and drank quietly. Toriel sighed. Cross finally finished and Nightmare took the carton from him. He slid his hands around Cross' head once again, reattaching the muzzle.

He pulled his hands away and his tentacles lowered. He didn't like putting that on Cross. Cross stared at him before reaching out. Nightmare understood and lowered one of his tentacles to Cross, who began to run his hands over it quietly. He seemed pleased.

Horror squirmed as Dust reattached his muzzle and yelped, falling backwards as Dust flicked him in the forehead. Dust chuckled, moving back to his seat. He twitched quietly. "I'm glad to see you have all made good friends..." Toriel said. Nightmare blinked. There was a hint of pride in her voice. He looked away, scowling as he blushed.

Everyone else seemed uncomfortable as well. They were good with murder and blood, not emotions. Dust rubbed his arm and Killer looked down, his SOUL wavering. Horror fell quiet, clasping his bloody, bony hands in front of him. The only one who seemed unaffected was Cross, who sighed and leaned against Nightmare, still messing with his tentacle.

Nightmare watched as Toriel continued the lessons. He focused on Cross. The other's hands were relaxing and soft on his tentacle. He knew better than to ask Cross what he'd spoken to Ink about. He couldn't help but be curious though.

—————————————

Cross distracted himself with the tentacle. He didn't care about the lessons. He'd already gone to school before. He was always fascinated with Nightmare's tentacles. He blinked as he looked over and saw Lust using his powers to possess Horror's arm and help him write notes. Cross allowed himself a small smile from under the muzzle.

Dust had fallen asleep again and that haunting skull was settled on top of his head, also seeming asleep. Killer was just obviously not paying attention, tracing the patterns etched into his knife. Cross sighed and wriggled backwards against Nightmare. He felt another tentacle slip over him, hugging him to the other. Cross felt a warmth.

He blinked as he noticed Chara, staring out the window, twitching. Cross followed their gaze and paused. Snow. It was falling from the sky in little white flakes. Cross blinked. The last time he'd seen snow was on the battlefield. Seeing it like this was... confusing. He watched it, mystified. He jumped as Nightmare whispered to him. "Have you never seen snow?" The other rumbled quietly.

Cross nodded before tipping his head. "It's... been a while..." He said quietly. He remembered seeing snow falling on his hand moments before a knife from an opposing attacker had ripped into his side. That hadn't been the battle that killed him, but it was one that Cross remembered vividly.

He could tell Chara remembered SOMETHING. They were still, watching the snowfall. Their ghostly hands were pressed up against the glass. Cross felt his SOUL ache. But it wasn't from him. He sighed, staring over at Chara before moving his eyes back up to Nightmare. He slowly lowered his head. Nightmare blinked and Cross jumped as he felt Nightmare's hand slip into his hood, gently cupping his cheek. He pressed against it.