o n e

"This is bullshit

"This is bullshit."

•••

FREEDOM. THAT'S WHAT Juno has first felt when she got out of her Maze. That feeling of freedom stuck with her, pumping through her veins like adrenaline even when they had been saved by the mysterious people. They were lucky that they came right when they got out of their Maze, and Juno couldn't help but wonder if it was more than luck that brought their saviours to them.

Mr. Janson had told them that from the kids they had saved from the Mazes so far, their Maze had the biggest group of survivors. Juno didn't doubt it; Luna, a genius who had been sent into their Maze, had figured out how to program the monsters and shut them off. They had only lost three people, totalling the survivors at 32 kids. At least half of them were under the age of twelve. When they were saved, the girls that were twelve and younger were rushed into a different berg than the older girls. Juno clung to herself, telling herself to keep it together until they got to the facility one of the armed men had told them they were going. "You're safe." The words echoed in the brunette's head. Were they really? She just wanted to see the younger girls and make sure they were safe. At that moment, she'd thought they were going to the same place.

It wasn't until Juno had asked Mr. Janson where the kids were that they were told they were at the children's facility. Juno, usually a very calm girl, felt a surge of anger coming upon her. She pushed it down and smiled sweetly. "Will we be able to see them again?"

"When we get you to the safe-havens, there is a chance you get placed at the same one as some of them." Janson nods, smiling reassuringly. "We ship kids out every night, but we have to rotate where they're going so WICKED doesn't catch on."

Juno nods. "That makes sense." But it didn't. Not in her mind. Why not just send all the kids from the same Maze to a safe-haven? Why separate them from the only people they knew; their family.

The girls were given time to shower then they were brought to the cafeteria. There were a lot more people here than Juno had expected. A lot more people must have escaped their Mazes. The girls stuck together for the most part; Juno went to sit at an empty table off to the left of the room, away from the crowds of kids. Hally, a tall blonde girl who didn't give a care in the world about what anyone thought of her, followed. Kiko, a dark skinned girl with curly hair, Reese, a short girl with short hair and a cute little accent, and Luna followed as well. A couple quieter girls followed, but the the table filled up quickly and some of the others went to sit with other people, making new friends.

Although Juno had always been someone eager to make new friends, she didn't want to right now. She wanted to eat her food and then crawl into a nice warm bed and sleep away her problems, and maybe even never get back out of that bed. When Janson came into the cafeteria, he caught Juno's attention immediately. She watched as he walked to the front of the room. He cleared his throat and began to speak, explaining that if your name was called you would have to go up and stand behind him.