n i n e

"Do you ever get the feeling the whole world's against you?"

the whole world's against you?"

•••

WHEN THE TEENS decided to give in to their fatigue, Juno found herself slumped up against Newt as the sky grew darker. And although everyone was tired, and none of them spoke, they found themselves all sitting upright, watching the stars. Juno yawns, shifting her head further into Newt's shoulder.

Tired, Junie? He slips his arm around her shoulders.

Very. She smiles up at him softly before resting her head on his shoulder once again. She wanted to press pause and freeze time. She wanted this moment to play on repeat until the end of time.

You should sleep. Newt says quietly. But Juno didn't want to, and he could sense that. If she slept and they stayed up, Juno would feel like she was missing out on something, even she didn't. She didn't want to shut her eyes and be excluded, and Newt was beginning to see this jealousy climbing out.

Newt shrugs his arm off of her shoulders and stretches his legs out. What are you doing? Juno turns to watch him as he lays back on the ground.

Going to sleep. What else would I be doing? He sends her a small smile.

He closes his eyes and Juno watches him annoyingly; of course he would be this stubborn when she wasn't about to tolerate it. Huffing, June falls to lay beside Newt. "You're so annoying." She whispers quietly, rolling into his side.

Newt chuckles softly. "Yeah, yeah." His arm snakes around her back. Go to sleep, Junie.

Goodnight, Newt.

•••

The storm brewing in the cloudy sky did not wake Juno up. Neither did the hard ground beneath her shoulders or Newt shifting next to her.

June was only woken up when Thomas was shaking her foot awake. "Hey. Hey. Get up." She hears Thomas' raspy voice say. "Newt, get up. Come on, let's go. Frypan, Aris. I see something."

Juno opens her groggy eyes quickly and sits up to look at where Thomas is pointing; in the distance, they can make out lights at the base of the mountains.

"What is it? What..." Newt says, stopping when he sees them.

"You see that?" He points to them. "It's lights."

"We made it." As Newt says this, a loud clap of thunder sounds behind them. Then, it happens again and they see lightening hit the ground. Juno is yanked up roughly by Thomas, who hands her her bag quickly.