s i x t e e n

the second month

the second month.

JUNO HADN'T TOUCHED Rosalyn's journal since Aris had found it. Whenever she found herself reaching for it, she stopped. The more she thought about it the less she wanted to read it. If she did read it, she would be putting herself through more pain. She would have to read through the deaths of her sisters, and that wasn't what she wanted.

So, pushing the damned thing out of her mind, Juno did anything she could to focus on something else. But even when she was immersing herself in plotting to get her friends back from WICKED, the book burned in the back of her mind.

However, the sticky heat that plagued the world was seemingly enough to pull the journal from her mind. Even now, as she actually tried to read it, she couldn't focus on anything but the distracting heat. And it seemed that all her friends had the same sentiments about the heat; they had all given up their jobs for the day. Instead, they all they all found themselves lounging in the shade cast by one of the nearby buildings. The cement was cool on Juno's back and though the little rocks in her back hurt, she was grateful for the small way to relieve herself from the heat. As the laughter died down from a joke Jorge had told, the air became thick. The short period of happiness that had followed the group for the morning was wearing off, and a serious tone was replacing it.

Frypan sits up, propping himself on her hands. "What if we're not all immune?" He asks. "Not, you, Brenda," The boy sends her an apologetic smile. "But like the kids in the Mazes. What if we're not all immune to the virus?"

Juno closes her eyes and sighs. "I mean, all the Maze kids can't be immune, right?" She sits up and crosses her legs as the attention is shifted to her. "How would WICKED know that we're all immune? They wouldn't expose us to the virus, because that would just be spreading it. It's just a guessing game."

"I wouldn't put it past WICKED to expose kids to the virus, just to know if they're immune or not." Brenda quips.

"It makes no sense for them to do that, though." June argues, sitting up straight. "WICKED isn't going to try and give kids the virus to see if they can withstand it. They aren't killing anyone. Yes, they're testing on them. And yes, they're hurting those kids, but they wouldn't willingly kill them." She scoffs. "Teresa may have betrayed us, but I did trust her at one point, and if she was willing to turn us over to WICKED then I'm certain they wouldn't kill us."

Newt sits up abruptly. "Why are you taking their side?"

Juno's eyes go round before she narrows them at the boy. "I'm not taking their side I'm just stating the facts!" She exclaims defensively.

"Really? Cause it sounds like you're siding with WICKED!" Newt scowls.

Thomas places a hand on Newt's shoulder. "Newt, just stop—"

Juno cuts Thomas off sharply. "No! Let him continue." She snarls.

"Do you even care about finding Minho? Or finding Leanne?" Newt pushes himself up to his feet. "Do you even care about them?"