t w e n t y t w o

"We're all on the same side here

"We're all on the same side here."

•••

A CITY OF dust and dirt, consisting of rutted road and baked buildings; the shimmering city's outskirts were nothing more than that. Everything there was grimy and colourless, and Juno couldn't help but feel like the sun had not only dried out the cracking roads but the happiness as well. Everyone looked absolutely miserable, and June was beginning to understand why.

The crowded streets did nothing to sooth June's throbbing heart; some people were laying on the sidewalks, others selling objects or food, and some were even throwing body bags into the back of their truck.

June and Brenda walked closely into Jorge's heels, their arms linked. "This place has really gone through hell." He points out, leading the way throw the bustling crowd.

"We just gotta stay together."

Behind them, someone speaks throw a microphone. "We are the voice of the voiceless!" Multiple men with guns and masks covering their faces are standing in a truck, driving up the street. "They hide behind their walls, thinking they can keep the cure for themselves, while they watch the rest of us wither and rot!" The crowd around them parts for the truck and cheers as they pass. "But there are more of us than there are of them. And I say, we rise up and take back what is ours! Let's bring back a victory!"

"Jesus." June mumbles to herself. This wasn't what they had expected — though she wasn't sure what they had really expected.

Death hung in the clouds, unseen, premature and shameful. Blood floated in the air, poisoning their lungs. The city was past saving and June began to wonder what the inside of the city looked like.

Her eyes are pulled away from a pile of body bags and up towards the wall when it comes into sight. It was even bigger up close, and impenetrable. The wall was intimidating, with its height and weapons placed upon it.

There were people rioting, chanting for WICKED to let them in. Some people hold signs, others stand to the side, simply watching.

Jorge pushes his way through the crowd with Thomas at his side and Brenda and June close behind them.

"What the hell did we get ourselves into?" Frypan asks.

Something not good, that's for sure.

June's eyes can't seem to pull away from the wall; large guns sit on top of it, unmoving though just their appearance is frightening. June's heart feels like it's beating out of her chest and she clutched Brenda's arm tighter. The girl feels June's tightening grip and squeezes her arm reassuringly.

Then, Newt and Leanne push past them to catch Jorge's attention. "Hey, guys, we gotta go now." He tells them. "Look." He gestures behind them, and they turn to see a masked man, similar to the ones on the vehicle passing by earlier.