Unwelcomed

It was a night to remember that was for sure. John's wedding had ended up in Ada giving birth which led to Freddie's arrest. Tommy knew he had nothing to do with it, he honored a truce. Of course, his aunt didn't buy it.

After she was done yelling at him and had simmered down a bit, Tommy sat down with her at the Garrison's bar. Grace quietly cleaned up around them.

"Where's Kate?" He asked.

"With Esme and Ada. She fainted while Ada was giving birth."

Tommy had to hide his smirk. Apparently, the woman hadn't been lying when she said she was inexperienced with pregnancies. Still, he was wise not to make a joke out of it in front of Polly. "Let her stay over just to make sure she's okay. I'll speak to her tomorrow morning." He finished his last whiskey and got up to retrieve his coat.

"What about Freddie?" Polly turned around on her barstool.

But her nephew didn't answer.

Kate was still sporting a nasty headache after fainting and hitting her head on the nearby dresser. Polly said it was lucky she'd only walked away from a headache.

Just to make sure nothing was wrong, Kate decided to stay in for the day to rest and take it easy. Unfortunately, she was in Birmingham and the city rarely let her rest.

Tommy was knocking at the door by ten in the morning. Kate begrudgingly answered. "You know I think I'd have less of a headache if you allowed me to go out drinking with you instead of being with your sister."

"I suppose I should've listened to you beforehand." He replied apologetically. "How are you feeling?"

"Like someone threw a brick at me and didn't miss." She retorted and crossed her arms over her chest. "What do you want?"

"Care to take a walk with me?"

"Why?"

"Why not?"

She snorted. "Because Tommy Shelby doesn't do anything without a reason. You live like a soldier. Every move is planned if it isn't then you risk injury or death."

"I can tell you on the way."

Kate appreciated that he at least dropped the act when she called him out on it. So, she grabbed her coat and stepped outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beyond Birmingham, up a fairly steep path, sat a graveyard. The grass was overgrown and the monuments were old. Some had succumbed to the elements and fell to the side. Crosses and rounded tombstones littered about in no particular pattern or organization. Some of the names and dates were still legible but others had been weathered away. So much so that only some lines or curves were left up to interpretation.

Tommy picked his way through the graveyard. It was clear he knew the area well as he didn't disturb any of the plots. Maybe out of respect or superstition.

Kate did her best to keep up with him, picking up her skirt and trying to ignore the long grasses scratching against her ankles. She lagged behind but managed to keep his heavy dark coat in view.

Finally, Tommy stopped and threw his hands in his pockets. Kate caught up to him went to stand beside him. His blue eyes were locked on a small wooden cross that had been hammered into the ground.

Daniel Owens.

"Someone you knew?" She asked.

"Yes." He nodded. "He's working for me in London."