Conquering the World

Kate whistled to herself as she walked a pile of papers into Tommy's office. The new building was quite the step up for the Shelbys and even Kate had to admire their tenacity. Some gangs were satisfied with maintaining their areas. Maybe a couple of streets or a borough. Not Tommy Shelby. He wanted the world.

The two years since Kate had arrived in Birmingham with the Shelby boys had been strange. The woman was so used to upheavals and always glancing over her shoulder. After receiving the letter from Santo, she assumed that would be the course for the rest of her life. She didn't expect to be in Birmingham for long. Not after Black Star Day, not after Grace's betrayal.

But she just never left. For the first year, Kate asked Tommy for protection. She didn't know who in Britain was under Santo's control. Hell, she didn't even know where the man was. He could've been down the street. What she did know, was that he had her location. That was what was perplexing that first year. Every time she opened the door, Kate expected Santo to be standing there waiting for her. Yet, he never showed.

By the second year, it became a bit more transparent why he wasn't making a move yet. After the death of Billy Kimber word about the Peaky Blinders got louder. How could a small Brummie game overthrow such a powerful man?

There was no clear answer. The news simply was, Tommy Shelby was not a man to take lightly. The word reached London quick, and no doubt spread through the various gangs, including the Italians. Ones who most likely had some connection to Santo and his men in America.

Tommy Shelby was dangerous and quick to defend his territory as well as go on the offense. And he was standing right in front of Kate.

By year two with the Shelbys, Kate found her stride in Birmingham. She helped Tommy arrange deals with Americans who would buy smuggled goods. It gave Kate significant creditability when that extra cash began to roll in. After Grace, no in the Shelby family was quick to trust outsiders. Kate was no exception, but over time she made strides in proving herself.

Still, she wasn't a part of the Peaky Blinders or the family. Her role in the business was limited and highly scrutinized by Tommy and Polly. It didn't bother Kate, in fact, she expected it. If anything, she was just grateful for the protection. Not only did it keep her safe, but it allowed her to stay in Birmingham for much longer than expected. She found a home there, settling into the soot-covered city. She didn't look over her shoulder anymore.

Heavy footsteps entered the office. Kate turned to see Tommy coming in. "I have contracts." She informed him. He didn't answer, instead, he passed by her and slumped down into his chair. She lingered by the desk, taking in his harried appearance. His hair was tousled and his clothes looked a little disheveled. "Are you alright?"

"The Garrison blew up this morning." He responded.

"Blew up?" She looked bewildered. "Like...exploded? How?"

"I'm handling it." He picked up the contracts but didn't seem to really be reading the words.

Kate sucked at her teeth and nodded. "Alright." She knew it made no difference whether she said anything on the matter or not. Tommy wouldn't disclose anything to her. He'd learned his lesson when it came to telling pretty women secrets. "Do you need me for anything?"

He set the contracts down. "What do Jews speak?"

"Jews? Well...depends on where they're from I suppose. Yiddish, maybe." She shrugged.