When the Devil Catches Up

Tommy's blood boiled. Maybe it was because he had assumed his presence in Kate's life was enough to ward Santo off. He thought his protection was enough. It had been over two years and the man hadn't tried to approach her at all. Now he appeared out of nowhere and harmed her?

But he couldn't plan too far ahead as Kate was in tears in front of him.

"I'm so sorry. I never wanted to put this on your family, I should have known better. I should have left sooner."

"Stop apologizing, s'alright." Tommy struggled to keep his anger in check. But he knew she didn't need him to lose his cool. He tried to wrap his arms around her as a comfort but she stepped away from him.

"I have to go." Her voice broke as she struggled with the words. It was necessary, she knew that, but it was tearing her apart to tell him. "I have to go back to America."

He frowned. "What? Not with him." Never in a million years did he think she would willingly go back to the States with Santo.

"I don't have a choice anymore." She wiped her tears but it was in vain. Her eye makeup was already smudged there was no hiding her fear.

"Yes, you do. You have a choice to stay here. I won't let him hurt you, Kate." He moved toward her, reaching out and cupping her cheek.

"He won't hurt me." She hiccupped and wrapped her fingers around his wrist. It was impossible to push him away. She couldn't help but indulge in his touch. Something that was so fleeting in her life. It was difficult enough knowing that she would never really know what it was like to be loved by him. But perhaps those little touches would be enough.

"Kate-"

"He said he'd kill you. He'd kill your family. He'd kill Alfie. I could never let that happen so I have to leave. I have to-I can't let him-I can't-" Kate's knees went weak.

Tommy enveloped her in his arms, not letting her crumble to the ground. He pressed a hand to the back of her head, letting her bury her face in his chest as she cried. His jaw tensed as he held her upright. He was ready to end this chapter in Kate's life. No more would she have to worry about Santo. She could be content to live there with him for as long as she pleased. "I love you."

She sobbed harder against his white button-down. "Tommy, please, don't. You'll only make it worse." She begged.

"I love you, Kate. And I won't let that bastard do anything. He can't come into my fucking territory and threaten anyone." He asserted.

Being held by him, for a moment, Kate could believe him. His arms were so strong and warm. She could hear his heart beating fast against his chest. It felt like a safe haven, a shield. But she had enough sense to know it wouldn't be enough.

"I need to face facts. I've been running too long and I just can't anymore." She tried to get a hold of herself but Tommy wasn't making it any easier on her. She didn't want him to let go of her even if she knew it had to be done. "I can't hide anymore. There are just things you won't understand. Things I can't tell you."

"You don't need to tell me anything." Tommy wasn't too keen on letting her go either. He let his fingers slip through her hair, his other hand resting on her back, drawing her flush to him. She felt so much smaller in his arms than she usually seemed. Her personality gave her a larger than life presence. But when Tommy could wrap her up in his arms, she felt more fragile. She shook like a leaf, but there was a warmth to her that made him breathe a bit slower.