Tearing Each Other's Hearts Out

It was strange returning to Small Heath knowing things would be different. Grace and Tommy were married. Tommy knew how Kate truly felt about him. Churchill was dishing out orders. But Kate continued to work, waking up every morning at the same time and getting to the office at the same time without fail. It was as if she was watching herself go about her routine. Sitting on the sidelines, just watching herself work like a machine. She needed no thanks or acceptance. She just needed reassurance. That reassurance was waking up every morning in a safe place.

But there was trouble bubbling below the surface. In a strange way, Kate was grateful for it. It was reminiscent of her past. Always keeping on her toes because something bad was always just around the corner. It gave her something else to think of instead of being hung up on Tommy. If she accepted the chaos, there was nothing else to fret about.

For such a long time, the chaos was a game to her. The dangers were very real, but she tried her best to remove herself emotionally. She couldn't be scared if she laughed at the danger. But when she played with fire, she got burned.

~~~~~~

"Kate, you ought to just get a pair of boots to muck up if you're gonna come down here so often," Charlie commented from his seat in the yard. He was reading the newspaper, his feet propped up as if he were in a parlor.

"Lucky for me Tommy pays me to get my shoes dirty." Kate smiled and picked her way through the muck. It was almost becoming second nature. "I have things that need to be sent to London. Sensitive things, can't go through the mail." She explained.

"To Alfie?"

"The very same." She handed Charlie the documents. "I don't have the time or the patience to go right now."

"You have been busy." He noted. Although Charlie wasn't one to frequent the office where Kate did most of her work, he had seen her flitting about Birmingham like a bee.

"Takes my mind off of things." She explained. That's when she heard talking around the corner. "You have company?"

"John 'n Arthur are meeting with some Italians." He shrugged.

Kate immediately froze. The trouble started to seep through the surface. And she didn't have enough time to run before on older gentleman rounded the corner with two associates. He looked frustrated but that expression faded to recognition when he saw her standing there.

"Kathleen?"

She swallowed and felt every muscle in her body lock up. "Um...Charlie, could I have a moment alone?"

Tommy's uncle frowned but got up with a grunt. "Fine, s'not like it's me own fucking yard." He grumbled under his breath as he made himself scarce.

"Alone, Vincente." She reiterated; her eyes flicked to the two burly men flanking him.

The man nodded and waved the two off. "Go to the car." He spoke to them in Italian.

Once they were completely alone, Kate allowed herself to note any escape routes she could take. "Why are you here? I didn't know you did business with the Shelbys."

"Why am I here?" He chuckled. "Cara, I think you have a bit more explaining to do."

Defensive, Kate fiddled with the lapel of her coat, knowing her pistol was holstered at her side. "I don't owe you an explanation."