Self Preservation

"Kate." A few days later, Tommy tried to wake up his fiancée.

"Mm, what?" She groaned, still half asleep.

"Time to get up." He went back to getting dressed.

Kate rolled over in the small bed and grabbed his watch off the night table. She scoffed at the time. "Might be time for you to get up, Thomas, but you'll never find me awake at this godforsaken hour." She replied, hellbent on staying in bed. "Polly says I need rest."

"I need your help with something," Tommy answered and walked back over to the bed after he finished buttoning his shirt.

"Help with what?" She yawned, pulling the quilt back over herself.

"I'll tell you when you get up."

"Ha, think I'd fall for that trick." She reached up to grab his shirt collar and pulled him towards her.

Tommy wasn't exactly weak, but when it came to Kate showing him affection, he could cave in pretty easily. Maybe it was because they had gone years knowing each other, but never being able to show their genuine feelings. Now, no matter how long they'd been together, every touch felt like a gift. He knew what it was like to be without her, and that was basically hell for him. So, to have her in his arms, showering him with affection? Well, there weren't many things that could pull him away.

Kate successfully got him back into bed, which may or may not have been her intention all along. She straddled his waist and kissed his neck, reveling in the small noises he made for her and the way his fingers dug into her hips.

"I bet you wish you could do this every morning. Start your day off with a good fuck." She murmured against his collarbone. "Shame you wake up so early. If you slept in a little, maybe we could make this more of a regular thing." Her hands traveled down to his trousers.

He chuckled deeply and kissed her. No one else had such an intoxicating presence. Within moments he completely forgot why they were even having the conversation, to begin with.

Then, a loud car horn from outside interrupted their little early morning fun. And everything came back to Tommy.

"Fuck." He sighed. "That'll be Alfie, then."

Kate looked disappointed but relented. Alfie was the last person to wait patiently for anything. "Alright, give me a minute to be dressed, I'll be out in a moment." She rolled off Tommy and stood up to go to the dresser.

Tommy righted himself, making sure he didn't appear disheveled, and grabbed his coat off the chair. As he left, he paused, getting a good look of Kate as she slipped off her nightgown.

Another horn from outside, a bit longer this time, traveled in through the window. "For fuck's sake." He muttered Why couldn't he have told Alfie to come later?

Kate felt his eyes on her. "He'll only keep going, you better get down there." She replied.

Tommy grumbled a few expletives before shutting the bedroom door. When he hit the stairs, the car horn sounded again, but it seemed unending. He trotted down the stairs and went out the front door.

~~~~~~~~~~

Outside, he found Alfie pressing the horn relentlessly, with his pocket watch out. He didn't give up until Tommy was across the street and right in front of him.

"Morning, Alfie."

"You know, Tommy mate, if you need an extra hour to get dressed up to look like a prick, then you ought to schedule that in. Bit rude to be late, innit?" Alfie glanced over Tommy's shoulder. "Where's your other half then, aye? Said she'd be here. Since you lot have imprisoned yourselves, I've had to handle all of her responsibilities with shipments."