Finer Things in Life

//Thank you already for the great feedback I've gotten so far! Be sure to check out @MissLalice 's great cover that she created for this fic! She also made the covers for my other PB fics as well as a video for Blue Eyes! 

Tommy helped Kate out of her fur coat upon entering the hotel suite. The luxury of the ornate room wasn't new to her. She had spent plenty of time in lavish rooms being spoiled by expensive food, fine wines, and Egyptian cotton. The black, white, and gold embellishments of the Art Deco style was familiar to her. She was used to the light of glittering chandeliers and passing by her reflection in the many mirrored surfaces.

Although the expensive decor wasn't any comfort to Kate. Not when she had to fake affection and love. In fact, the atmosphere of hotels had begun to make her nauseous. She knew what was awaiting her.

But it still wasn't exactly clear if those were Tommy's same intentions. He had expressed interest in what she knew but not her services. Still, he was a man. A man who had become accustomed to the finer things in life and that no doubt included expensive courtesans.

Kate had changed out of her stage costume before departing with Tommy. She left under the guise that he was an expensive client who wanted to take her somewhere a little more intimate. To complete the appearance, she left in a seductive jade colored dress. The one made of silk that left little to the imagination and had a scandalous open back.

Tommy noticed this very quickly as she walked over to the sofa. The silk shifted with every movement, clinging to her body and revealing the curve of her hips. He cleared his throat and hung her coat up on the rack by the door. He was careful to maintain his appearance of business by leaving everything on but his coat. This wasn't a situation to be comfortable with. He still knew very little about this woman.

"Drink?" Tommy asked while moving to the liquor cart by the large windows. He looked down on the lights of Paris still sparkling in the night.

"Do you have wine?" Kate settled on the plush sofa, grateful to be off of her sore ankle. She reached down to take off her heels and inspect the area. Luckily there didn't appear to be much swelling.

"Merlot." He answered after inspecting the lone wine bottle among the liquor.

She made a face. "I prefer Chardonnay. Don't particularly like red. I'll just have gin."

Tommy poured her a glass of gin and whiskey for himself. He walked over with the glasses and set them down on the table by the sofa. He took a seat across from her so they could talk.

"Do you have someone back in England, Mr. Shelby?" Kate wondered. It seemed unfathomable that a handsome and wealthy man like himself wasn't married. But perhaps he'd simply taken off his wedding band while he was in the Moulin Rouge. Some men did that, some didn't seem to care and left them on. Kate wasn't sure which was a worse sin.

Tommy's mind went to the blonde barmaid he left behind in Birmingham. Grace had captured his attention but it had been a long while since he'd allowed himself to succumb to love. He hadn't opened his heart up since he lost Greta. But he was getting dangerously close to that territory with Grace. "I'm not married."

"Hm." Kate didn't remark on his answer. But it led her to believe there was someone. It was anyone's guess why he was keeping it a secret.

"Tell me what you know about the Americans." Tommy redirected the conversation.

She took a drink of the gin and grimaced at the taste. "I don't understand why Europeans like their gin so bitter."

He crossed his arms over her chest and stared at her. For a moment, he doubted his decision to bring her back to the hotel. She could've been reading his reactions and telling him what he wanted to know. Could this all be a ruse to get something out of him? Blackmail? Maybe she wanted a free ride to England or even back to America. What if she didn't know anything?