Chapter 20

*Camila*

As Dinah says it, my stomach does somersaults. It sounds really, really good.

C: "Camren.. I actually really like that, babe! Nice work!"

D: "Why, thank you! Remember to quote me when you guys become this rich and famous couple one day!"

She smiles as if she truly believes that will happen. And I can't help but smile back at her. Dinah really is such a precious soul.

The rest of the day is a blur. Dinah decides to sleep over because we had gotten too invested in Riverdale, that we had forgotten that she needed to go home and have an early night. No harm done, though. Luckily, she doesn't live too far away from me so she will be up early and just catch a cab. Just before we call it a night, I text Lauren to say goodnight and that I hope that everything was okay. I wait a while for a reply, but eventually I fall asleep.

The next morning is an early one for both Dinah and I. We had both been awake since 6:30am- showered, dressed and sitting at the kitchen counter by 8am. I usually only need to be at work around 8:45am and it's like a 10 minute walk from home which is perfectly fine. We're sitting and eating our cereal in silence and then Dinah breaks it with a haunting question that hits me unexpectedly.

D: "So.. did Lauren reply?"

My stomach immediately drops to the ground just at the sound of her name leaving Dinah's lips and I suddenly feel nauseous. I drop my spoon into the bowl in front of me and attempt to chew and swallow what was left of the cereal in my mouth- which now makes me want to gag. I have been suffering in silence since this morning when I woke up and I saw that Lauren still hadn't replied to my text. It gave me the worst feelings of anxiety, so I didn't want to make a big deal out of it just yet, but Dinah called the shots on this one.

I'm officially worried.

C: "No she hasn't, but I'm sure she will any minute now. I have to get going, but I'll text you later, babe."

I try to play it cool as I grab my keys and kiss Dinah on the cheek before I slip out of the kitchen and out of the front door before Dinah tries to stop me. The air is crisp and cool on my skin and makes me feel a little better as it hits my face over and over again in gusts as I stride up hill towards the Café. Nothing else on my mind. Just Lauren.

My day at work is way busier than usual, which is great because it keeps me busy and helps me stop thinking about Lauren. Who am I kidding! Nothing actually helps. I keep checking my phone every 10 minutes and this earns me a solid warning for 'using mobiles' during working hours. Nothing makes sense, though. Why wouldn't she reply? I need to wait for my lunch break so I can call her and ask her what's going on. I look up at the clock and realise that I have one hour left before my lunch break and this gives me time to rehearse what I'm going to say to her. It isn't like Lauren to go completely MIA on me for so long, let alone not say goodnight to me. But I'm sure she has a valid reason for all of this.

The clock strikes 1:30pm and in one swift move, I untie my apron, slip it off my neck and bolt out of the back door. My fingers tremble slightly as I unlock my phone and dial Lauren's number. I put the phone to my ear and my heart is pounding so loud that I can barely hear the ringing of the call. The phone rings for a while and then goes to voicmail.

No.

I press dial again. This time, I start pacing and chewing on my thumb. The phone rings, and rings but no answer. Again.

Fuck. What is happening right now?? Don't do this to me, Lauren! My heart cannot take this!
I lean back against the wall and slide down until I'm sitting on the ground. I click dial again, and the phone rings. Please answer, Lauren. Please. Just as I am about to cut the call, I hear a click followed by some shuffling and then a cough.

"Uhm.. hello? I mean hi, this is Lauren's phone. Who is this?"

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

I clear my throat and get up to my feet.

C: "Yes, hi. This is Camila. Who am I speaking to exactly??"

"Oh, I'm Lucy. Sorry, Lauren can't come to the phone right now but I can give her a message?"

Oh my God.

————————————————————