Part 19

Michael hadn't been able to get back to sleep after the dream sharing. He'd lay with her for hours before he got up and decided to read to take his mind off things. He was sitting at the desk that usually went unused in the corner. Amy stirred in his bed and rolled over with a little groan and his eyes drifted to her. He was still reeling from what he had witnessed.

Amy opened her eyes and yawned, realising she was alone in bed. It was unusual. The boy usually lay with her until the very last second they had to get up. She sat up confused and looked around until her eyes landed on him. He was sitting at the desk and he was looking at her with a weird look on his face she couldn't place.

"Hey," she smiled, rubbing her eyes.

"Hey," he replied quietly, a weak smile graced his lips. Her brain woke up more then and she furrowed her brows.

"What did you find then? I don't remember any of my dreams," she huffed, looking at him curiously. He averted his gaze then as his fingers drummed onto the desk. It made her stomach drop wondering just what he'd seen.

"It was... some memories. From when you were a kid," he replied. He could have meant anything. She had a lot of memories. But somehow his tense and sad tone made it obvious it was some of the shitty ones and she felt her cheeks growing hot as her stomach tightened. She didn't know what to say. The air suddenly felt thick and awkward knowing he had been in her mind and seen her at her most vulnerable.

"Why? Why did they treat you that way?" he lamented, finally looking at her again. His eyes were glassy and she felt a lump lodge itself in her throat. He looked so distraught for her. It was a strange feeling.

"They wanted a son. I was a constant disappointment. Especially when I wanted to be an artist and not follow in their footsteps in the medical field. And then they found out about my powers and dumped me here. Said I'm not their problem anymore," she shrugged. She tried to sound careless about it. Like everything she had been through didn't bother her. But she knew that he knew better. She was broken. Incapable of love because of her lack of it as a small child. It had damaged her on the inside. She watched warily as his hands clenched and unclenched on the desk and he inhaled deeply. She wasn't sure if he was about to cry or throw something. He looked a mix of angry and upset.

"Look... it's fine okay? I'm older and I'm over it. Just forget it," she sighed, wanting to drop the whole thing altogether. She stood from the bed and walked over to him, needing him to focus on something else and forget what he had seen. He looked up at her with shiny eyes as she stood by him and she raked a hand through his hair. His eyes fluttered shut and a soft hum left his lips when she massaged his scalp with her fingertips.

She was stood by his side and he leant into her, head leaning on her belly as a hand wound around her waist. She thought she had distracted him enough as she continued rubbing his scalp and he was quiet for a moment.

"You know I love you, right?" he asked softly after a bit of silence. Her heart jumped a little at his words. Partly from the delight of him saying them to her again but also anxiety from the fact she couldn't say it back. He was still leaning into her as he tilted his head up to look at her. She found herself blushing.

"I know. I still don't know how but... I know," she replied with a small smile. He beamed a smile at her and his arm around her squeezed a little. He dropped the issue then and she was glad. She was also happy he hadn't seemed like he expected her to say those words back. She kept worrying that one day he'd be upset with her for not saying them. She tried to push the thought to the back of her mind.

They carried on their day as usual. Classes and food, hanging out with Mallory and Coco. Amy was starting to get used to his little affectionate touches when they were just going about their day. Every little touch made her smile to herself. By the time night had rolled around, the tea was once again brewed but this time for her. She watched Michael sitting on the bed chewing his thumb anxiously as she got into her pyjamas. She'd noticed how his behaviour changed as the day wore on. He seemed terrified of what she was about to do and honestly, it made her nervous. She padded over to his bed, climbing onto it and then on his lap straddling him. He looked a little shocked that she'd made the move but he relaxed as she stroked the nape of his neck.