Chapter 20

Hunter's POV

"So you're marrying her?" My mother asked walking into my office unannounced and without knocking. She loves to act like she owns the place. I roll my eyes still looking down at my paper, I finished off signing the last signature before acknowledging her. "Yes." I simply respond getting up from my desk.

I needed to retrieve a manilla folder to put these newly signed papers in. I would have to send them over to my lawyer to look over later. "Why? In what world does it make sense for you to get married?" My mother asked following behind me. I sigh deeply rolling my eyes.

"Why is it that you believe you have a say in everything that I do?" I asked in a slightly annoyed tone as I reached my cabinet full of fresh folders.

"Because I do. I'm your mother, and contrary to what you believe... I know what's best." She replies from behind me and thankfully she's not following me anymore. I roll my eyes closing the cabinet before turning around to finally look at her.

"I'm a grown man, I know what best for my life and my kid's life..."

"...What do you mean by that?" My mother ask cutting me off which only added to my annoyance towards her. I so badly wanted to say if she would of let me finish she would know, but no matter how irritated I am I would never disrespect her.

"I mean, it was terrible watching you and dad argue about divorce and custody. Even though, you guys worked it out and are stronger because of it... doesn't mean it wasn't hard back then. I won't do that to my kid. I'm doing this right as a family."

My mother simply rolls her eyes at me. "Yeah right. I know you better than you know yourself. You expect me to believe that bull crap Hunter. This is for your imagine... the company? Right? Yes, your father and I went through a rough patch and I remember it being hard on you, but you were 10. This is a baby! A baby that won't remember a thing."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She speaking to me as if I didn't hold her while she cried after every date, every hearing, and argument. As if I didn't know that this wasn't just so little rough patch with my dad. They were miserable. I was miserable, my sisters were miserable.

Our lives felt like Hell at the time. Everybody was forced to pick sides, every weekend spending the night in a new hotel just to see our mom. Lawyers breathing down our backs, opinions down our throats, not only wanting to place blame, but feeling ashamed. And for what?

I find unbelievable how hypocritical she's being. Even though Katie and I aren't actually getting married part of me wished we were. Just because I know what could happen if we don't. I also wasn't giving my mother the satisfaction of knowing that Katie and I weren't going to make it past our engagement. I don't think I could handle anymore of her judgement, or her 'I told you so.'

Yes, it was danger when my mother thinks she was right. But there's nothing more dangerous when she knows she's right.

I scoff shaking my head her. Actually there is something more dangerous... when she's wrong and she thinks she's right.

"You want to look me in my eyes and tell me that it didn't break you after every court hearing? Having a judge decide for you if you're best for your baby! Not knowing if your children was going to go home with you or with dad. Having a schedule for when you can see your kid! I'm not doing that. I'm not going to compromise, it all or nothing."

My mother pauses as she glared at me, challenging me with her eyes. My mother was use to getting things her way, and it was very rarely when she didn't get what she wanted. My mother screamed powerful, authority radiated off of her without her even having to say a word. However, I wasn't going to roll over and especially about this.

I held her hard glance, accepting her challenge. My eyes pierced into her own daring her, waiting for her next move. Her lips parted and a frustrated sigh escaped them. She dropped her eyes before rolling them dramatically.

"This is insanely stupid! The only thing that you got right was all or nothing. Because if you do this it is all! You're giving everything your money, your company, your name! Marriage is not something to play with. It's when two people become one! And for what? You don't even know this girl Hunter. You don't know her motives, if you're the real father, what if this is her plan, marry you and take everything. And when that happens... you're right... you gave away ALL... to be left with NOTHING!"

"It's always a scheme with you—"

"—That's how it is when your rich baby."

I roll my eyes. "No. This is how it is...no scheme, no motives, no plan... it's not black and white, and there's no grey area. It's simple. I had sex with Katie and I got her pregnant. And that's on me. Now, I gotta take responsibility. This is how I'm doing it. So you can either hop on board or don't. I don't care. But I didn't ask for your opinion."

My mother looks at me with glossy eyes, I could tell she was thinking of something else to say. However, I could also tell that she knew that there was nothing she could say to change my mind. All my life every mistake I've made my parents have covered it up, everything has been to maintain my image. And now all I want to do is try to take responsibility and try to keep my reputation intake. However, everyone thinks I'm making a big mistake. My mother, Vivian, and no doubt my father even though he's too much of middlemen to say anything.

"Fine, do you whatever you want. Just know I don't and I won't support this."

"I know what I'm doing. I don't need your support." I cross my arms looking down at her confidently.

She scoffs. "Not Yet." My mother says while storming past me and out of my office.

I groan deeply before blowing out a long exhausted breathe. I pinched the bridge of my nose as everything sunk in. My mother's words rang through my head like a broken record. I could never doubt myself, but I also can't lie and say my some of my mother's points aren't scratching at the back of my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER! I HAVE TO BE HONEST AND ADMIT THAT I WROTE THIS CHAPTER AND I DON'T EVEN ENJOY IT.

I HAVE TO BE HONEST I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING A BIT OF WRITER'S BLOCK.

MY INSPIRATION FOR THIS STORY HAS BEEN SHORT. SO I APOLOGIZE IF THIS CHAPTER WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE AND FAR FROM GOOD.

I JUST WANTED TO GET SOMETHING WRITTEN SO I CAN MOVE TO THE NEXT CHAPTER, WHICH ISN'T ACTUALLY A GOOD WAY TO WRITE.

HOWEVER, IT HAS BEEN CHALLENGING FINDING THE MOTIVATION TO WRITE BESIDE JUST FINISHING THE STORY ALREADY OR AT LEAST GETTING TO THE JUICY DRAMA I HAVE IN STORE FOR HIS BABY.

ALRIGHT ENOUGH OF MY LIFE STORY....

WHAT DID YOU THINK?

DO YOU AGREE WITH HUNTER'S MOM?

CAN YOU SEE WHERE SHE'S COMING FROM?

WHAT DO YOU THINK HUNTER WILL DO?

PREDICTIONS?

REMEMBER DON'T FORGET TO...

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

UNTIL NEXT TIME, DIAMOND :)