Chapter XI: The Forsaken Car

A/N: Hello. :) Sorry for taking so long to update my Infinity Train fanfic, but I wanted to watch Book 2 for some ideas to add to this chapter. I also saw The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, from which I also drew major inspiration from. And it should be a fair warning that this would be part one of a two-parter for the adventure in Penny's Car. Who knows what mysteries await in this chapter?

"I think... I think it's my home."

These words were the last thing anyone expected to hear from Penny, if at all. The bleak, desolate landscape overlooked by a dark cloudy atmosphere with the sun shown to be setting just behind them would've had her scared, or sad at the very least. And the little girl was both afraid and saddened. But it never crossed their minds once that she'd speak those words. Neither Tulip nor Bryce could believe it as the perennial girl tried to confirm it.

"What? Are you serious?"

Penny gave a nod to her sadly for confirmation. Bryce saw her upset before, but it was nothing compared to the sorrow she's showing right now. Tulip was familiar with that in the Arcade Car, but she could swear that it must be getting harder to deal with each time. Neither one of them could comprehend how hurt she must be for her home to be so utterly destroyed. Atticus felt especially sorry for her as they spoke to the poor child, wondering how such a disaster would be possible.

"I am terribly sorry for your loss, Penny."

As Penny smiled sadly to Atticus, One-One's glad side was still confused on how Penny recognized this wasteland while his sad side was stuck on its description.

"But it doesn't make any sense. How can you be so sure this place was your home? It's so... lonely."

"Not to mention desolate, gloomy, melancholic, funereal..."

Before One-One could speak further, Bryce interrupted him, afraid that he'd end up making her sadder than she should be and gently moving his foot in front of One-One before moving him back while keeping him behind his leg before he spoke.

"What he's trying to say is... how do you know it's your home?"

Her nightmares were clarification enough for Penny to recognize this as she replied almost heartbrokenly.

"I know it is. Every nightmare I've had, I saw this. And every time I see it, I... I..."

Penny was about to cry as tears started to come out of her eyes, but Tulip knelt down to stop it as she comforted her.

"Hey, hey, hey. Don't do that, Penny. It's not your fault the car is this way."

"I know. But still... mommy and daddy are gone..."

Not willing to take the pain of seeing her sadness anymore longer, Bryce scooped Penny in his arms and held her with her head on his shoulder as she sniffled sadly.

"Let's just find the exit door and get out of there. You've been through enough already just by looking at it."

With how torn up Penny was becoming, she needed a way to avoid laying eyes on the dismal scenery. And what Bryce suggested seemed to be the only way to do it as Penny sniffled before weakly replying.

"Okay..."

Tulip found it to be a bit difficult as she surveyed the damage from afar. And that was limited to just the city. The forest itself didn't fare any better as there were no grass or live trees to be found.

"But where do we even start looking? This whole car might as well be the size of an entire state."

Looking farther ahead, Bryce could see the ruined city, filled with 20's and 40's Art Deco buildings that lost their once-shining luster with the machine and cracked monitor at the very center. It seemed to be the only thing to stand out, so that was one idea where to look.