Chapter XX: The Passenger Car

A/N: Here we are, getting near the end. There was a lot I wanted to add as far as memories, but for the sake of my version of Book 3, I decided to save them until then. Speaking of Book 3, you'll be happy to know that a sneak peek for my version is coming at the end of this chapter. I hope you're excited. :)

It wasn't long before the group, Amelia and the recovering Future Tulip included, was inside the alleged Tape Car. Supposedly, that's where Penny and Bailey were to get their numbers, operating on the chance that they would even get one. Its setting was eerily similar to one film he watched, and Bryce found it a bit unsettling as they walked through an apparent fog on the catwalks.

"Yeesh. Sci-fi and horror much?"

Penny, on the other hand, was mystified by the environment around her.

"I think it looks kinda cool."

Bryce inquired to One-One where his glad and sad sides replied.

"So, let me get this straight. The Tape Car is where Penny and Bailey will get their numbers?"

"Yes. It's where all passengers get their number. Oh, fun fact! The Tape Car is the only car where the universe is projected on the outside."

"It's what's outside that counts."

Bryce couldn't find any difference between that and the other cars as he spoke.

"Right. Sure it does."

In the meantime, Bailey looked over to Future Tulip, still feeling concerned about the attack Osore did on her.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yep. Just gotta tough it out, like always. But... thanks for stepping in back there."

"Well, I am a doctor. I have plenty of experience in that kind of thing."

"Heh. I'll bet the world would be very lucky to have you."

Bailey gave her a soft smile while they walked. But her smile couldn't last long as it furrowed into a sad glance. Just then, Penny, Rexy, and Ava took notice of a large dinosaur-like robot walking over on the adjacent path of the catwalk, making the little girl intrigued while Rexy became impressed and Ava was curious as she pointed to it.

"Wow..."

"Cool. A robo-dinosaur. I know what I want for Christmas."

"Mum, what is that thing?"

"That, Ava, would be a porter. Their job is to help gather memories of a passenger and refine their tapes into a video."

Just then, a roll of film rose up to the ceiling, making Rexy stagger back in surprise as Amelia spoke.

"And speaking of tapes... we must be getting close to phase 1."

Bailey became as curious about it as she was nervous.

"Uh, phase 1 of what?"

"Of getting a number, of course."

Amelia then sighed before she spoke to One-One.

"One, can you take it from here? I honestly don't have the strength to put up with this at the moment."

His sad side replied with a shrug before his glad side took charge.

"Yeah, sure, whatever."

"Follow me, everybody!"

From then on, One-One led the way, rolling down the stairs to a sticky white substance as the others followed. Tulip, Bryce, Bailey, Rexy, and Ava weren't sure what to make of the floor; they appeared almost disgusted. However, Penny and Atticus were of different opinions. She smiled a bit as she spoke while Atticus pushed his paws on it delicately.