𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶. chapter.

JEAN NEVER NEEDED TO BE IN THE PRESENCE of SHIELD's most important people such as Alexander Pierce

          JEAN NEVER NEEDED TO BE IN THE PRESENCE of SHIELD's most important people such as Alexander Pierce. She had met a man two different times before, when she finally decided to join the organization and when Council was debating on sending her to her first mission or not cause of her young age and lack of experience.

          Despite her meeting the man before, she still had a bad feeling about the man. She didn't know was it because of the cold stare of his eyes or because of somewhat of creepy grin that played on his lips, but something wasn't right with the man and Jean knew it. She could sense it in the air.

          Jean and Steve were in Pierce's office, the bad feeling in the pit of her stomach got even more intense since she first made eye contact with the man. Yet she forced herself not to show any signs of feeling uncomfortable in his presence.

          Steve noticed an old picture of Pierce and Fury which caught Pierce's attention.

          "That photo was taken five years after Nick and I met. When I was at the State Department in Bogota. ELN rebels took the embassy, and security got me out, but the rebels took hostages. Nick was deputy chief for the SHIELD station there. And he comes to me with a plan. He wants to storm the building through the sewers. I said, 'No, we'll negotiate'. Turned out the ELN didn't negotiate, so they put out a kill order." The older man made his way over towards the two agents.

          "They stormed the basement, and what did they find? They find it empty. Nick had ignored my direct order and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil. He saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter."

          Steve slowly made his way towards one of the two black sofas he had in the office. He sat down, still listening and processing every word that came out of Pierce's mouth, Jean following his lead while Pierce sat on the other sofa across from them.

          "So you gave him a promotion," Steve finished with the voice that wasn't filled with much emotion. "I've never had any cause to regret it," Pierce admitted as he studied expressions that two agents held.

          "Captain, Red, why was Nick in your apartment last night?"

          Before Jean could say a thing to the creepy man, Steve was quick to reply, "I don't know." This caught redhead surprised as to how good he got at lying to people.

          "You know it was bugged?" She knew that if she stayed quiet for long, any agent would assume that they were hiding something. "We did, sir. Director Fury told us this," Jean replied as she cleared her throat.