CHAPTER 4 - MIRRORS

CH:4
MIRRORS

1/4/2020
9:05 AM

Dozing off in the Cafe was nice, until I jotted in my seat. There was still studying to be done and I guess coffee wasn't enough to keep me going. However, something strange occurred. I saw a blue butterfly in the corner of my eye outside the window. It's wing pattern and color were very distinctive of Philemon's mask pattern. This was too off to be some sort of rare insect I'm seeing by chance. I immediately closed my book, down my coffee, and head out the door in pursuit. It weaves like a guide, and waited for me to reach a moderate distance before it moved on, leading me into the back alleys of Shinjoku. From the bustling terrace I made it to a rather bleak and interesting area.

It looks almost like homeless people resided around here, from my experiences back home. Not that there would be many in rural Shinjoku but there was still trash, crap and all sorts of random items littered everywhere. All of a sudden, the butterfly whisks itself upwards, fading into the sky and I halt to the sound of voices; taking refuge behind a set of conveniently placed boxes.

I heard footsteps approaching of what seemed to be a small group of people.

"... Let's get things underway. I'm curious to see what else we're capable of."

"Couldn't agree more..."

A purple light flashed extremely briefly after that short exchange. Then, complete and utter silence. After waiting behind the boxes for a good while, I ever so slowly peek my head over the box, trying to make sure my afro doesn't give me away. To my surprise, there was no one there. But how?

I take some steps around the area... people were definitely here. Now they are not. The only thing around is junk; broken tools, and broken glass. Then I see a particularly large mirror; intact. It looked old, but I found it odd for it to be around. As I walked closer, I closed my mouth in fear and awe. I had no reflection... None at all.

I dismissed those thoughts and pondered. This isn't normal. Just like the encounter with Philemon, and the butterfly effigy; something is up.

Instinctively I reach out and touch where my face should have been only to see my fingers slip through.