|22|

Chapter 22, Ave Atque Vale

"Today, we remember the fallen." Isabelle started.

The newest members of the New York institute, family members, and the rest -minus downworlders- were standing in the make-shift funeral room of the recently rebuilt institute. Now that everything had settled, they were doing the funeral of the unfortunate Shadowhunters that had died during the explosion of the institute. Everyone was wearing white, as tradition said. 

Isabelle, as head of the institute, was standing in front of a flock of Shadowhunters. Rectangular tables clad in a white tablecloth with pictures of the deceased were behind her. Sadly enough, there were about a hundred tables behind her. 

"They have fought bravely in the never-ending battle against demons. We honor them for their bravery and strength, for without them we would've lost."

Some blubbering was heard.

With a deep intake of breath, a brown-haired girl stepped forward, walking towards a table. The photo frame on the table held a picture of a 20-year-old brown-haired girl. Presumably, the twin of the girl standing next to the table. 

Isabelle nodded encouragingly toward her. 

"Ginny." The girl breathed out.

"My twin sister. My home. My rock. We've been together for always, and now you've left me. I will take care of Teddy for you. He's going to grow up strong as you did. We'll miss you."

"Pulvis et umbra sumus," Isabelle mentioned to the tables. 

"We are dust and shadows." The rest repeated in English. 

"Ave Atque Vale." Isabelle wiped a tear.

"Hail and farewell"

*********************               ************************ 

"You sure that this is going to work?" Isda asked Raziel. She'd been hiding out for a while now, and she wanted to go out. She hadn't had any amusement since she scared that blonde Shadowhunter to death. Wimp, she thought. She knew her true form wasn't that attractive, but the look that he gave her before he disappeared. . . It was quite memorable. 

"You dare question my plans?" Raziel asked deadly calm, sporting a raised eyebrow. 

She could sense his anger from a mile away.

"No." She whimpered, knowing that she didn't have the high ground. (My Revenge of the Sith fans, where you at!)

"Good." He replied, a threat lingering in his words.

"Ugh, I'm going out." Isda jumped from the stool that she was previously sitting on. "I can't stand the smell of the leeches and all that blood. Too depressing for me."

Raziel turned around and opened his mouth to say something, but he was silenced by Isda. "Yes, yes, I know. Don't do anything stupid and make sure the Shadowhunters don't notice you."

Raziel nodded.

"Have fun with your grand master-plan!" She called out before throwing the door open and stepping into the crisp night air of New York.

He just rolled his eyes at her playfulness. Raziel knew it would get them killed. He just hoped it would be after he killed those petty Shadowhunters and their club of Downworlders.

*********************                     ************************ 

Alec and Jace were both in the training room, panting and sweating while exchanging blows at each other -without the intention to hurt each other, of course. 

"You think it'll get normal like before?" Jace suddenly questions his parabatai, his sticks clashing with Alec's.

"What do you mean?" Alec frowns. 

"My relationship with Clary. She's been quite distant lately and I don't like it one bit. She looks like she forces herself to spend time with me."

Alec ponders for a bit while turning and hitting Jace on his bicep with the stick that he was holding. 

"Talk to her." He finally comes to a conclusion. 

Jace sighs.

"Since when did you become so wise, Alec?"

"Haven't I always been the cleverest?" He jokes.