|23|

Chapter 23, The truth

Clary was writhing in her bed, images flashing behind her closed eyelids. It didn't surprise her like the first time it happened. She had been terrified, but now she was used to it. It was a regular occurrence. Every single night, Raziel taunted her in her dreams. He was promising her things; horrible things. And Clary knew that they would come true, no matter how long it took.

Clary suddenly shot up in her bed, panting while little beads of sweat made its path down her forehead. She sighed and raked her hand through her fire-colored hair. Then, she let her head fall into her hands and began to sob, silently. 

She really had enough of it. Every night, her nightmares became scarier; more realistic. Her sanity was slipping, and she knew it. The Fairchild threw her golden-colored covers off of her lightly shaking body and her feet made contact with the cold tiled floor. She ran her hand down her face. 

Clary hadn't been sleeping with Jace lately. It only broke her heart more to wake up from a night terror and seeing him there, sleeping peacefully. She was very grateful that Jace is a heavy sleeper. The first time she experienced the nightmares she still slept in his bed. Tears had been rolling down her cheeks and she had trudged from his room to her own, afraid of herself and what she could do to him.

The redhead timidly opened the bathroom door open and looked at her reflection. She looked horrible but she was used to it. As a result, she grabbed her make-up and began applying it to make her look at least a bit decent. When she was done, the girl grabbed her clothes and put them on. The Shadowhunter put her fiery-colored hair into a ponytail and walked towards the dining room.