Chapter 4: Encouragement

AFTER THE GENIN EXAMS

Naruto sat quietly on the swing outside the academy. He looked at the crowd of people in front of the academy gates.

"Well done. I'm so proud of you!"

"Great job!"

"Congratulations! I knew you could it!"

Naruto could see all his classmates, the ones who had passed the genin exams. They were all being congratulated by their parents.

Naruto watched on and felt a deep sadness crawling into his heart. It was the same pitiful, depressing feeling that he felt everyday. Yet today it took on a new form and brought him much pain.

Failure.

'Why? Why don't I have parents? Why isn't there anyone to help me?' Naruto thought. 'It's not fair!'

--------

Meanwhile Sasuke stood at the side of the academy building his head filled with thoughts he couldn't handle.

'Naruto that idiot, he failed. Good for him.' he thought. 'Pretty sure he's crying like a little baby, that moron...'

'Naruto......crying' .For some reason imagining it made Sasuke feel uncomfortable.

"SASUKEEE!!!" Sakura called in a playful tone. "Hey Sasuke! They're you are I was looking..."

"Where's Naruto?" Sasuke interrupted.

Sakura, shocked at the fact that Sasuke had talked to her and hadn't insulted her, stammered a reply.

"Ah...well. Oh! Naruto? I dunno. That idiot failed. I think he's outside the academy gates. But forget about him why don't you and..."

"Stop being so annoying Sakura. I don't give a dam about you, got it?" Sasuke scoffed.

Sasuke then proceeded to walk to the academy gates, leaving a distressed Sakura behind.

Sasuke saw Naruto and began walking towards him. He saw the sadness in his eyes, the depression in his soul and the pain he was experiencing. Without thinking he walked towards him with no clear objective whatsoever.

Naruto was scared, he didn't want to see Sasuke. He was probably going to humiliate him. He couldn't bear it .He hastily got up from the rickety wooden swing in an attempt to run away.

Sasuke grabbed the back of Naruto's collar stopping him in his tracks. The boy who had his arms in front of his face to wipe his tears, was startled for a moment and threw his arms back in an attempt to balance himself. "Woooaaah...hey...what?"

"Oi. Where do you think you're going." Sasuke said.
(Clearly does not know how to talk to people.)

"Sasuke leave me alone" Naruto said.

"You're not going try again?" Sasuke questioned.

Naruto slowly turned around to see Sasuke. He had the same pale face, dark onyx eyes and black hair. He had a strange look on his face. Naruto was curious because Sasuke looked so strange. He looked as though he was someone else entirely.

"You're not going to lose to me are you?" Sasuke asked.

'Lose...to..Sasuke. No'  Naruto thought.

"No way! I'm not gonna lose to you Sasuke!" Naruto proclaimed the sadness in his eyes turning into determination. "Just you wait I'm gonna catch up to you no matter what!" Naruto grinned.

Deep down in his heart Sasuke felt quite relieved to see Naruto smiling and determined. As he looked into Naruto's eyes he smiled.

Naruto was partially shocked to see Sasuke smiling. Sure he smiled once now and then when Naruto messed up. But this smile was different. The smile he had in that moment was so beautiful. It made him feel happy too. Moreover he felt a strange feeling in his chest. It was though a thousand tiny flowers were blooming rapidly.

He didn't realize that Sasuke was caressing his hand.

Sasuke had somehow found Naruto's hand and he had begun caressing it. He didn't know why he was doing it. Sasuke's thoughts were similar to Naruto's. He..just wanted to stay there with him. But Sasuke's thoughts were all mixed up. He couldn't understand why he cared so much about Naruto.

'I shouldn't be forming bonds with people' he thought. 'It'll be too much of a nuisance.'

'But... I want to be with him. I want him. He should be with me...' his inner thoughts argued.

"Hey Sasuke do me a favour and wait for me ok?" Naruto said suddenly. Then he blushed slightly,  feeling slightly embarrassed at showing his emotions to Sasuke.

'Yeah you'd better catch up to me' Sasuke smirked. He looked up at the sky and saw dark clouds.

"Better get going it's about to rain" he said.

Sasuke then turned around and began walking towards his home feeling relieved but also unable to deal with his thoughts.

Naruto watched Sasuke as he walked. He was curious as to why Sasuke had changed so suddenly. Moreover he was mystified by the emotions he had felt when he was with him. It had felt so good. It made him feel joy, satisfaction and it made him feel so comfortable. He didn't know what it was and how he was supposed to deal with it. Yet he was curious and perhaps just a little bit........

excited!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Stay safe and lots of love! 🧡💙