Chapter 13 - A familiar place

Cross' PoV.:

I was in a dark void, I couldn't see anything nor even move my body. I just stared into it, wondering if there was anything in it.

I didn't know who I was or how I got here, but that wasn't important. I just existed and was here, wherever 'here' was, but it was enough.

But slowly, I stared to hear voices through the darkness. It started with only one, then a second came and suddenly so many, that I couldn't tell them apart anymore.

"Cross, can you help me with that?"

"Eh, I'm too lazy, let Cross handle this"

"So~ I think, I have an idea who's gonna be the next victim. Cross-"

"Cross, where-?!"

"CROSS,-!"

The voices grew louder and more and more came, till I couldn't understand anything what they said. They melted into one loud being that called my name and gave me headache.

I froze, realizing something in my thoughts.

They called my name? It felt familiar, like an old cloth you found in your closet and which you loved back then but suddenly forgot for years in a corner. Was Cross really my name, the name I was born with and been called my whole life?

But if that's true, why knew these people who I was, when even me couldn't tell it?

Who were they, why did they know my name? Did they have any connection to me?

If that's so, where were this people?  From where came these voices?!

Suddenly I realized that they were parts of long last conversations, situations where I was present and that was why they didn't make sense to me. They were memories of a live, I've forgotten.

Memories.

After this word came into my mind, the world around me started to change. I saw colors, faces, things, but they too started to melt together like the voices.

My mind grew fuzzy, my headache became worse and my hands wrapped around my head, my eyes closed. I tried to shout everything down, but that didn't work, even got louder.

The sounds became so loud that they were only one painful sound, as if someone scratched his nails at a blackboard. Only a million times more painful.

Tears ran down my face as I cried, yelled, begged them to stop, to leave me alone.

Finally they shouted down and I opened my eyes. I released my hands from my non-existing ears and instead wiped away my tears. I looked around and found myself in the same darkness as in the beginning. I panted and placed a hand over my soul, trying to calm down.

"I'm sorry. I didn't ment to hurt you, the curse is just stronger than I thought it would be. I have to try something else, and hopefully this method will really bring your memories back. Maybe then this war will finally come to an end."

This voice wasn't like the others, it sounded like the speaker was outside the place I was in, and that what I heard was spoken through a speaker.

The voice was deep and the speaker was definitely a male, but I couldn't recognize him. In his voice was full of regret, but strangely also hope.

I wondered, who was he? What was this 'other method' he spoke about, and will it be so painful as the first one?

Fear took place in my soul, the sound of the voices still belled in my head, I didn't want to go through this again.