Chapter 5

Harry's POV

Early the next morning I travelled to the Ministry of Magic with Mr Weasley.

"Trains. Underground. Ingenious, these Muggles," Mr Weasley looked around in wonderment at the underground trains before we walked out into the city and went around a few corners until we saw a telephone box.

"Here we are. I've never used the visitors' entrance before. Should be fun," He closed the phone door behind us

"Right. Good. I'll just get my Muggle money," He slot in a few coins and the box began to slowly descend into the ground below. He opened the door and we stepped out into the busy Ministry, hundreds of witches and wizards scurrying off to different places, small paper aeroplanes whizzing in multiple directions. It was absolute madness.

"Daily Prophet, ladies and gentlemen. Anybody for Daily Prophet? Dumbledore: Is he daft, or is he dangerous?" A man said holding out the newspaper to the oncoming witches and wizards. We hurried into a very full looking elevator.

"Morning Bob," Mr Weasley greeted a man

"Morning Arthur," The man greeted. A few of the paper aeroplanes flew in

"Interdepartmental memos. We used to use owls. The mess was unbelievable," Mr Weasley said. Kingsley suddenly appeared and pushed his way to the back of the elevator.

"Merlin's beard. Thank you, Kingsley. They've changed the time of your hearing," Arthur said

"When is it?" I asked

"In five minutes," He replied as the doors shut and we shot off. We were the last ones to get off

"Department of Mysteries," The cool voice rang out.

"And I'm confident, minister, that you will do the right thing,"

"Yes, but we must-" The voices stopped as Mr Weasley and I walked past, I looked down a hallway to see Lucius Malfoy talking to Fudge.

"Remember, during the hearing, speak only when you're spoken to. Keep calm. You've done nothing wrong. As the Muggles say, truth will out. Yes?" Mr Weasley tried to reassure me as we stopped outside the courtroom.

"I'm not allowed in, I'm afraid. Good luck, Harry," the doors opened and I walked in alone. There was a chair in the centre of the room which I was directed to sit in.

" Disciplinary hearing of the 12th of August into offences committed by Harry James Potter resident at Number 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey. Interrogators: Cornelius Oswald Fudge, Minister of Mag-" Fudge began

"Witness for the defence. Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore," Professor Dumbledore interrupted as he marched into the courtroom, immediately I felt better.

"You got our message that the time and place of the hearing had been changed, did you?" Fudge asked

"I must have missed it. But by a happy mistake, I arrived at the Ministry three hours early. The charges?" Dumbledore replied.

"The charges against the accused are as follows: "That he did knowingly and in full awareness of the illegality of his actions produce a Patronus Charm in the presence of a Muggle." Do you deny producing said Patronus?" Fudge read out before looking to me.

"No, but-" I was cut off

"And you were aware that you were forbidden to use magic outside school while under the age of 17?"

"Yes, I was, but-" I was cut off again

"Witches and wizards of the Wizengamot.."

"I was only doing it because of the Dementors," I burst.

"Dementors? In Little Whinging?" One lady asked

"That's quite clever. Muggles can't see Dementors, can they, boy? Highly convenient," Fudge chuckled.

"I'm not lying. There were two of them, and if I hadn't-" I tried to explain

"Enough. I'm sorry to interrupt what I'm sure would have been a very well-rehearsed story but since you can produce no witnesses of the event,"

"Pardon me, minister, but as it happens, we can," Dumbledore responded. They brought in Mrs Figg and she sat down in the chair like I had and was asked questions by the court.

"Please describe the attack. What did they look like?" Mrs Figg was asked

"Well, one of them was very large and the other rather skinny," She replied

"Not the boys, the dementors," Fudge chuckled.

"Oh, right, right. Well, big. Cloaked. Then everything went cold as though all the happiness had gone from the world,"

"Now, look here. Dementors don't just wander into a Muggle suburb and happen across a wizard. The odds are astronomical," Fudge said, taking his glasses off and looking to his council.

"I don't think anyone would believe the Dementors were there by coincidence, minister," Dumbledore agreed. Suddenly there was a small high-pitched cough

"I'm sure I must have misunderstood you, professor. Dementors are, after all, under the control of the Ministry of Magic. And it's so silly of me, but it sounded for a moment as though you were suggesting that the Ministry had ordered the attack on this boy," A woman wearing pink said.

"That would be disturbing indeed, Madam Undersecretary which is why I'm sure the Ministry

will be mounting a full-scale inquiry into why the two Dementors were so very far from Azkaban and why they mounted an attack without authorization. Of course, there is someone who might be behind the attack. Cornelius, I implore you to see reason. The evidence that the Dark Lord has returned is incontrovertible," Dumbledore pleaded.

"He is not back," Fudge hissed.

"In the matter of Harry Potter, the law clearly states that magic may be used before Muggles in life-threatening situations,"

"Laws can be changed if necessary, Dumbledore," Fudge shook his head

"Clearly. Has it become practice to hold a full criminal trial to deal with a simple matter of underage magic?" Dumbledore argued.

"Those in favour of conviction?" A lady said. Some people raised their hands including Fudge.

"Those in favour of clearing the accused of all charges?" She asked aloud, as she and over half of the court raised their hands. Fudge sighed and tapped the gavel

"Cleared of all charges," I grinned and went to talk to Professor Dumbledore.

"Professor," I called out but he was already out the door.