Chapter 23

"Boys and girls are not permitted to be within eight inches of each other."

"Those wishing to join the Inquisitorial Squad for extra credit..."

"Students will be submitted to questioning about suspected illicit activities. Any student in noncompliance will be expelled" The annoying voice of Umbridge rang out from the stupid pink speakers that she had placed in every corner of the school. I held my aching hand as I walked out of the Great Hall with the rest of Dumbledore's Army members, I was pulled into a small, dark classroom. I let out a small squeak as I recognised the familiar strike of pale, blonde hair.

"Draco, What are you doing!?" I whispered, closely looking out the door to make sure none of Umbithc's goons had seen us.

"I saw you coming out of the hall and wanted to make sure you were okay," He whispered back, taking my injured hand in his.

"It's nothing," I said trying to pull my hand out of his, but he held tight.

"Aurora this isn't nothing," His eyes widened and the red scarring lines that were beginning to form. He quickly pulled out his wand and muttered something, the lines and pain soon began to fade.

"I could've done that," I mumbled

"A simple thank you would be enough," He chuckled.

"You're right, thank you," I smiled.

"Rory?" Draco asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Mmm?" I looked at him

"Can you teach me how to do that animal thing you were doing with the others?"

"You want me to show you how to perform a Patronus?" I asked in confirmation. He nodded, looking hopeful.

"Sure," I smiled.

"Not tonight though, I'm tired and Harry and the others will be looking for me so I should go," I hopped off the table and walked towards the door.

"Thank you for fixing my hand Draco," I smiled softly and walked out, heading back towards my common room. Thoughts of a certain Slytherin boy filled my head as I climbed the stairs to my dormitory where I found Hermione was already asleep. I quietly got ready for bed and fell asleep within seconds.

"Harry, you did everything you could. No one could win against that old hag," Ron tried to comfort Harry as we stood on the connecting bridge.

"Even Dumbledore didn't see this coming," I added

"Harry, if it's anyone's fault, it's ours," Hermione agreed

"Yeah, we talked you into it," Ron nodded

"Yeah but I agreed," Harry sighed

"I tried so hard to help, and all it's done is make things worse. Anyway, that doesn't matter anymore. Because I don't want to play anymore. All it does is make you care too much. And the more you care, the more you have to lose. So maybe it's just better to..." He trailed off

"To what?" Hermione asked,

"To go it alone," I finished for Harry, knowing exactly how he felt.

"Psssst," Our heads whipped around to see Hagrid hiding on the other end of the bridge, motioning to us.

"Hagrid?" I asked as we hurried over to him. He led us deep into the dark forest

"Any idea where he's taking us?" Ron asked

"Hagrid why can't you just tell us?" I asked. Suddenly he stopped abruptly as a whole herd of centaurs came storming past, yelling angrily.

"I've never seen the centaurs so riled. And they're dangerous at the best of times. The Ministry restricts their territory much more. They'll have a full uprising on their hands," Hagrid shook his head.

"Hagrid what's going on?" Hermione asked.

"I'm sorry to be so mysterious, you three. I wouldn't be bothering you at all with it, but with Dumbledore gone, I'll likely be getting the sack any day now. And I just couldn't leave without telling someone about him," Suddenly a giant came stumbling through the trees and he looked around above him airly.

"Grawpy. Down here, you great buffoon. Grawpy," Hagrid called up to the giant who looked at us blankly

"Brought you some company," Hagrid gestured to us and Grawp followed Hagrid's point

"I couldn't just leave him, because...because he's my brother,"

"Blimey" Ron breathed out

"Well, half brother, really. He's completely harmless, just like I said. Little high-spirited, is all," Hagrid remarked as Grawp came towards us quickly, reached down and grabbed Hermione who screamed slightly as she was pulled up to his eye line.

"Grawp that is not polite," Hagrid's eyes widened

"Hagrid do something," Ron panicked

"We talked about this. You do not grab, do you? That's your new friend, Hermione," I watched in shock

"Grawp," Hermione said firmly, holding her finger up at him

"Put me down. Now," there was a slight waver in her voice as the giant put her down gently with a scared look on his face. Hermione held her arm where she had been held

"You alright?" I asked

"Fine" She nodded

"Just needs a firm hand, is all,"

"I think you've got an admirer," Harry said

"You just stay away from her, all right?" Ron said as his voice cracked. Grawp walked forward slowly and bent down and offered Hermione the handles off a bike. Hermione took it and we shared a confused look.

"He gets his own food and all. It's company he'll be needing when I'm gone. You will look after him, won't you?" Hagrid asked I smiled at the gentle giant who was sitting on the forest floor ringing the bell of the bike handle.