Chapter 9

The Patil twins charmed a paper bird and it flew around the Defense Against Dark Arts classroom, many of the boys in the back were trying to hit it

"Oh, go on, Seamus. Go on, get it!" Someone yelled out as Seamus flicked it making the bird swirl uncontrollably. I laughed as it flew over my head when suddenly it burst into flames and floated back down onto Pavarti and Padma's desk.

"Good morning, children," A voice from behind us said, we all swivelled in our seats to see who it was and I was extremely disappointed to see Dolores Umbridge, our new DADA teacher.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe," She giggled as she walked up the aisle and stood at the front of the classroom, she flicked her wand and books thumped themselves onto our desks

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic. Yes?" She said as Hermione raised her hand.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

"Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom," Umbridge sounded surprised.

"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron said opening his book.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," Umbridge replied, she sounded as though she was quoting Fudge, I rolled my eyes already knowing I'd dislike the pink covered woman.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free," Harry called out

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," Umbridge snapped

"It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which, after all, is what school is all about," I scoffed at her response

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry asked, his tone frustrated,

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" The Ministry woman laughed.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort," Harry replied, I clenched up

"Harry don't," I hissed at him

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie," Umbridge said, walking towards Harry's desk.

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him," Harry argued making me shake my head

"Detention, Mr Potter,"

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Harry scoffed

"Harry, please shut up," I whispered to him making others look at me.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident,"

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him, you must know that-" Harry was cut off

"Enough! Enough. See me later, Mr Potter. My office," Umbridge finally lost it. I sighed and rested my head on my arms that were crossed in front of me on my desk.

"Why didn't you help me?" Harry asked quietly from behind

"Because Harry, no one will believe us because they are in denial that it's true, if the Ministry says it isn't true then, of course, people will choose to take their word over ours. I also know not to argue with a Ministry worker who's acting as our teacher. You don't think she'll report back to Fudge what has been happening? Think before you act Harry," I replied before turning back around in my chair and flipping the page in the book.