Chapter five | Old friend

Trent packed out everything onto the counter as they stood nearby the cashier.

"When did you put those in?" Toni asked refering to the 4 large packets of skittles that the cashier already scanned.

"It wasn't me." Trent quickly said.

Toni placed her hand down on her hip as her other hand held her Michael Kors purse.

"Really... than who was it?" Toni raised her eyebrows skeptically.

Trent pulled his face as he shrugged as if he didn't know.

"My intuition." Trent said, Toni let out a small laugh shaking her head.

The things Trent said sometimes, he was just like Kenny.

"He's adorable." The cashier said, "he talks a lot too." Toni said handing the cashier her credit card.

Toni tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear just as Trent walked up to the bags placing them into the cart.

"I'm a gentleman." He said to the lady that packed the groceries into the brown bags.

She chuckled as Toni helped him do so. He grabbed the handles as Toni took her credit card and placed it into her purse.

"Let me mom." He said as she backed away allowing him to push it out the store.

Once they were out of Walmart and reached her all white Rolls Royce. Toni popped the trunk open as she and Trent began to place the grocery bags into the trunk.

"Let me help y'all with that." The same man from earlier said placing some bags into Toni's trunk.

"Steven." Toni said realising he looked completely familiar.

"It's the guy that helped me earlier with the crackers

"It's the guy that helped me earlier with the crackers." Trent said.

"Hey Toni." He said removing his hoodie.

Toni's heart raced as she could not believe it, she never thought she would ever run into him again. He looked a mess and homeless.

"I'll go put this cart away." Trent said grabbing it and taking it back to the store.

"How are you? Is that your son?" Steven asked slipping his hands into his pocket.

She nodded her head.

"You and Kenny still married?" He asked.

She nodded her head again.

"He's a lucky man." Steven said, "what it's been like 23 years since the last time we saw one another." Steven chuckled.

"I can't believe you still married Kenny after our affair." Steven shook his head pulling a cigarette out of his pocket along with a lighter.

Toni remained silent as just swallowed her saliva.

"Did you ever tell Kenny how we used to sneak behind his back and have sex? Oh no wait, you probably didn't and that's why he's still married to you, or did he forgive you? Because I know I wouldn't have." Steven said lighting his cigarette.

"What do you want from me?" Toni asked.

"Money. As you can see I'm homeless, I have no job and after you decided to leave me for a much wealthier man-"

"Trent get in the car please." Toni immediately said once Trent approached them.

"But I- fine." He mumbled stomping his feet getting into the passenger side.

"I have to go. I have a husband and kids waiting for me at home." Toni sternly said.

"Not only are you making him raise my daughter-"

"She is not yours. Let's just clear this up okay. Teyana is Ken's." Toni spat in annoyance.

"You named her Teyana. Did he choose the name?"

"Yes. Yes he did, because she's his daughter." Toni said, "you know you're lying-"

"I have to go." She spat turning around.

He grabbed her hand and slipped a piece of paper into her pocket.

"Call me if you plan to keep being married to Kenny, give me a ring or else. Bye bye billions and bye bye Kenny." He chuckled blowing smoke into her face.

She shut her eyes in frustration before snatching her hand away from him, she opened the driver side door and got in. Trent looked up from his iPad that he was playing games on over at Toni.

"You know him mom?" Trent questioned.

"Yeah. We were neighbors." Toni smiled starting the car before she backed out.
____________________________

Toni and Trent placed the grocery bags down on the table as Trent grabbed the smores ingredients and ran out the house towards Kenny at the fireplace. Toni pulled the paper out of her pocket and unfolded it. It had Steven's name and number written on it. 23 years ago she wished she never got involved with Steven, she regretted everything.

She heard a few conversations going on causing her to ball it up and slip it back into her pocket.

"Mom you're back. Did you get me my tablets?" Kara whispered.

"Yes." Toni chuckled looking in her bag pulling out the plan B box handing it to her.

"Thank you. You're the best!" Kara squealed before going up the stairs.

"Care to join me in unpacking these?" Toni asked.

Kara nodded with a smile as she noticed how exhausted Toni seemed to be.