Let Your Hair Down

Chapter Ten

Maya's P.O.V.

"So, you and Lucas still in your little fight?" I asked her.

About a week after Riley showed up to school faded as all hell, her and Lucas are still in a fight over what she should be doing and what she shouldn't be doing. Personally, as long as she isn't doing anything too bad... I can handle my girl.

She laid down on the bay window, "Yes."

"What are you guys gonna do about homecoming on Saturday?" I asked. "Didn't you already buy your tickets?"

"Yes." She groaned as she put her head into a pillow.

"You guys will work it out." I say as I start rubbing her hair.

She lifted her head up and turned to me. "Can we get high?"

Okay, I'm no genius but I'm pretty sure this is what started the fight to begin with. "I don't have any." I lied.

She rolled her eyes as she went back to the pillow. "I don't get it. Literally everyone else is allowed to try to things in High School except for me. Hell, I'm already a Junior. I have one and a half more years left of school and I've spent my time following every single rule my parents set, getting good grades, and being everyone's friend who everyone treats like a five year old." Riley stood up and walked around in circles. "I'm done being everyone's kid friend."

"Your not everyone's kid friend." I said. "We all just love you and we love you being you. We don't want you to change yourself because of other people."

She turned and looked at me. Then she started to look down at her long brown hair and ran her fingers through it. Then a big smile came on her face as she ran to her mirror and looked through the drawers and came back with a pair of scissors.

"I'm changing because everyone has to change sooner or later Maya."

"Riley... put the scissors-" Before I could finish she took her long brown hair and cut it to about her shoulder length on both sides.

"Woah." She said.

"Woah." I said.

I haven't seen Riley with short hair since forth grade. And she didn't care, she just cut it off, she is learning to do her... and even though Lucas wants to stop her, I'm not.

Riley's P.O.V.

I never felt that much power in my life before I cut my hair. It's like I'm finally in charge of my life choices whether then having someone making them for me.

"Oh my god." I heard my Mom gasp as I walked into the living room the next morning. I turned around and she was coming towards me. "What happened to your hair?"

"I broke the status quo Mom." I smiled proudly.

"With all do respect Riley, this isn't High School Musical." Auggie smiles at me while he was eating breakfast.

I'm just gonna pay him no mind. He's not even old enough to fully understand the references. "I gotta get to school. Bye guys."

I walked downstairs and put my headphones in as I took the blunt from out of my pocket. One little blunt never hurt anyone, right?

Lucas P.O.V.

I angrily tapped my pencil in Mr. Matthews class. He's one of the best teachers I've ever had, but he just looks so much like Riley, it just keeps reminding me that I'm pissed at her right now. Out of all times she picks to start a fight, she picks the week of Homecoming. All I want to do is stop this fighting, but she is wrong... and I am standing by that. After class, I see that Riley was standing outside my class.

Look who finally came to their senses.

I walked out of my class and walk up to her. She noticed me and looks at me.

"Hey." She said

"Hi." I say back. "You ready to talk? About everything?"

She nodded her head.

*/*

Maya's P.O.V.

Homecoming is on tomorrow and the one thing on my mind is trying not to stress about it too much.

Not only is this the first homecoming since we became friend with Lucas again, but it's also the first homecoming that I have a boyfriend. Now, Drunk Maya likes to make a lot of choices that sober Maya regrets the next day. But this time, I'm going and I'm going to be a responsible 17 year old. No mistakes.

"Maya, I know I didn't ask you this before, but are you going to your school's homecoming?" Josh asked me as we watched TV in his dorm. His arm is wrapped around me and I intertwined my hands with him.

"Yeah... your not mad though are you?" I ask.

He sighed, "I'm not mad, but it's just that you're going to a dance with a bunch of crossfaded children, that don't really know that you're dating me. I just don't wanna have to get arrested for beating someone's ass."

I chuckled, "These guys wouldn't try to get with me, I'm too tough for them... and they know it."

He paused the movie and looked into my eyes. "Are you too tough for me?"

He's funny, he thinks he can just talk in that sexy voice and I'll just be like putty in his hands. I turned his head to me and I kissed him. "Why are you asking questions that you already know the answer to?"

He pouted at me, "Because maybe if I ask enough times you'll finally say I am."

I laughed. He truly is perfect. The only downside that I might become Riley's aunt.