Chapter 27

I spotted Rita from across the coffee shop. Grabbing my computer and espresso, I made my way over to her. I plopped myself across from her, grinning widely. She glanced up at me in surprise.

"Hey. Someone's in a good mood," she said, arching an eyebrow at my unusual behavior.

I grinned down at my drink, humming a reply.

"Okay, seriously, who are you and what have you done with the real (Y/N)?" she asked, chuckling playfully.

I rolled my eyes, still grinning. "Haha. Very funny."

"Ah, there's that familiar sarcasm I'm used to!"

I laughed and shook my head.

"But, seriously, I'm glad to see you're doing better emotionally. I guess that Larry guy really is helping you get through this, huh?" she asked, her smooth, light brown face tilted to the side curiously, some of her dark brown hair falling into her green eyes.

I grinned. "Oh, absolutely. Lawrence has helped tremendously."

Rita held up a hand to sop me. "Wait. Your new boyfriend's name is the same as your old boyfriend's?"

I nodded, resisting the urge to burst out laughing by biting the inside of my cheek.

"Don't you think that's a little... I don't know..."

"Weird? Coincidental? Spooky?" Beej said as he materialized right behind Rita.

Rita screamed and jumped two feet, her eyes wide in panic. She clutched her chest, her breath coming in ragged form.

"What. The. HECK."

"Ah, yeah, sorry about that. He has a tendency to be a bit of a troublemaker," I said sheepishly, while Betelgeuse came to sit next to me.

"R-right..."

"You gotta stop doing that, babe," I told him somewhat sternly. "You're gonna give someone a heart attack or something."

"Wouldn't be the first time," I heard him mumble.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Well, seriously, you gotta stop. I don't wanna be responsible for a hospital bill."

He smirked at me, flicking his tongue. "Or what? You gonna punish me?"

Rita choked on her latte and I blushed fiercely.

"Beej!"

He simply chuckled.

"Well, um, I hate to be a third wheel, so I'm just gonna go..."

Rita went to gather her things. I stopped her.

"Oh, no, you're really fine! Sorry about him. It's been a while since we've talked, so I wanted to catch up for a bit." I smiled at her warmly.

She, however, looked nervous and slightly panicked.

"Um, look, I'll have to, uh, call you later, kay?"

Beej and I exchanged a glance.

"Rita, what's going on?"

"Nothing! Nothing's going on! Why-why would you say that??"

I arched an eyebrow at her.

That's when Riley walked in. From around the corner he emerged, and from his vantage point, he couldn't see Beej and me. He propped against the corner cooly and raked a hand through his wavy, blonde locks. He smirked at Rita, who had broken out into a cold sweat.