Chapter 29

"(Y/N)! Have you seen my keys?" Riley yelled from downstairs.

"I can't find the socks I was literally wearing a second ago, so no."

"Hey, babes, what'd you do with those extra snacks?" This time it was Betelgeuse.

"They should be on the counter by the cooler with the drinks!" I answered, stuffing some last minute supplies into my duffel bag, which I used as my suitcase.

Darn it. I can't find my phone.

"Hey, Rita!"

"Yeah?"

"Can you call my phone, please? I can't remember where I left it."

"Yeah, one sec!"

I heard it buzzing a moment later in between the couch cushions. Go figure.

"Found it!" I yelled, hitting the "decline" option on my screen.

Riley, Rita, Nerva, Lydia, Betelgeuse, and I had all decided to take a trip out-of-town to go to this really cool-looking laser tag place, since we needed a break from being cooped up due to bad and cold weather. The laser tag place was about two and a half hours away, so we decided to make a weekend out of it and stay for a couple of nights.

We were all really excited about it, but boy were we scrambling. The majority of us were awful procrastinators and equally as bad, if not worse, at packing in a timely fashion. So the Deetz house was pure and utter chaos the morning we were set to leave.

The only ones who were actually packed and ready to go were Minerva and Lydia, who did the best they could to help the rest of our scatter-brained group.

In about two hours, we were finally ready to go.

"Okay," I said once we were all standing in the driveway outside. "So, Lydia and Beej are with me, and then Rita and Nerva are with Riley, correct?"

Everyone nodded in affirmation.

"Alright, let's load up, then!"

I had a lime green Mini Cooper. I had bought it around New Year's, because I was really tired of having to get Riley and Nerva to chauffeur me everywhere. Plus it was cute and got good gas mileage.

Betelgeuse hopped into the passenger seat and Lydia got into the back, spreading out.

I walked over to Riley's Jeep and leaned into the open passenger window, where Rita was sitting.

"You guys got the address, right?" I asked them.

Rita and Riley nodded.

"I'm gonna be his navigator since his sense of direction is close to nonexistent," Rita informed me, pulling up her maps app on her phone.

I laughed while Riley gawked at her.

"Excuse me!" he gasped incredulously. "I happen to have a great sense of direction!"

I rolled my eyes. "Mmmm.... yeah, no. Sorry, Ri, but she's right about this one. I remember that I would have to remind you where places were when we went anywhere." I chuckled, recalling all the times I had to point out we had missed a turn or were going the opposite direction.

"I got it covered, (Y/N). I won't let him get lost," Rita assured me.

I smiled at her. "If worst comes to worst, you guys can just follow me."

"Will-do!" Riley chirped as he gave me a thumbs-up, his happy-go-lucky attitude already firmly back in place.

I nodded and made my way back over to my car, sliding into the driver's side and fastening my seatbelt.