Chapter 36

It's crazy how quickly time flies when you're rushing to plan a wedding to your dead fiancé.

The day before the big day, I was a ball of nerves and pent-up emotions of all sorts. I was frazzled, but excited; worried, but happy.

The day passed in a whirlwind of preparations. I hardly even processed what one person was asking me before I was being whisked away to make decisions about napkins or something. I hardly saw Betelgeuse at all, we were both so busy. This fact didn't do much to improve my mental state and mood.

Around five o'clock that evening, I plopped down onto the couch next to Lydia, finally managing to sneak away from Delia, who had been asking me about my opinions on crystal arrangements in order to, quote-unquote, "ward off bad juju". I sighed and leaned my head back, staring at the ceiling.

"Lydia, never get married."

She chuckled. "Been there, done that."

I looked over at her and laughed.

She propped an arm on the back of the couch and turned toward me.

"Hey, I could get us out of here and we could go eat, just the two of us. Just like old times."

I grinned at her. "I'd love that, Lyds."

"Alright, well, let's go!"

~

We walked into Bernie's, the atmosphere bringing back a thousand memories: Lydia and I eating ice cream, the Halloween party, and Rita and I discussing wedding dresses only three weeks prior. I smiled.

As Lydia and I sat down at a small booth, she picked up her menu.

"I know it's no bachelorette party with a male stripper, but I hope it's the next best thing. To be honest, you're getting married to a male stripper, so you won't be missing out."

I choked.

"Lydia!"

She just started laughing.

We both ordered and started eating a few minutes later.

"You know, it's crazy to think how much has happened since you got here," Lydia said in between mouth-fulls.

I smiled at my plate. "Yeah. When I first took this job, I never expected it would lead to marriage." I chuckled.

She nodded. "Well, I'm really happy for you guys."

I grinned at her gratefully.

"He really is crazy about you, you know," the teen continued, spearing a piece of steak with her fork. "When I first met Beej, he was, like, super messed up. Then we welcomed him into our family, and that did wonders for him, because he finally found a place to call home.

"And then you came along and flipped his world upside-down. He would pace around my room at night, ranting about how amazing you were, and trying to barter with me to let him meet you. I told him no, of course." I laughed quietly at the scene playing out in my head. "Eventually he convinced me to let him show up at Halloween with a cover-story. I was half regretting it, you know, cuz I expected him to keep making crappy passes at you, but I never expected you to make crappy passes back."

I burst out laughing at that part.

"But, to be honest, (Y/N)..... I think you've saved him."