Chapter 31: Without Uncertainty

Heart of the Infiltrators

(Senran Kagura x Male Reader)

Chapter 31: Without Uncertainty

April 20 – "Yin and yang, the balance of light and dark. Where there is good, there's also evil. If there are any exceptions, check again."

There was only one person Takatsukasa would willingly talk to while at school but, quite unfortunate for the both of them, she had a few surprise arrangements that had to be tended to. Thus, with a disappointed scowl and averted eyes, the bulky teenager sauntered through the halls and made for the exit. Students and teachers alike turned their heads as he passed to gossip about his menacing aura while others took a few steps away when he got close. It worked well for Takatsukasa, seeing as he considered himself the furthest thing from a social butterfly. Even if his part-time job was in hospitality, he always found a way to uphold his duties out of sight and mind.

All would have gone according to his ritual if a certain interruption didn't turn his way. While making one of the last turns toward the exit, the distinct sounds of yelling came from the principal's office. Wondering who'd set the obese bastard off, Takatsukasa dared to turn his head to the door and felt his face stiffen. Looking up to his bulky classmate's eyes, Miki sat by the principal's door with the face of a sad puppy. Intending to leave the interaction without incident, Takatsukasa turned his head forward to leave before his fear came true.

Miki tried to call him over with a gentle, "Oi, Sugiyama!"

Speeding up his pace to get away, Takatsukasa murmured, "No," and powered forward.

"Wait, could you hear me out-"

"No."

"I've got a thousand yen-"

"No."

Having been shot down three times in a span of five seconds, the shorter boy lowered his head to the ground and rested his chin onto his hand in thought. Takatsukasa felt for him just a bit, figuring that he either wanted someone to talk to or, in a more unlikely scenario, wanted help in busting the young man out of the principal's office. Even still, there was no need to act.

Takatsukasa definitely did feel for the young man, especially after having seen the large bruise across the top and side of his head. Yet, having heard from Miki's loud mouth, the two transfer students both knew the consequences for calling in sick. Principal Shinohara, while lazy and unreactive to most issues that plagued the school, would bust the back of anyone who dared to skip even a single day. The young man was well aware of that but still decided to call in. Maybe for something important, like a hospital visit, but there were still cruel consequences that wouldn't be ignored. While wondering what he'd do if he were caught in such a scenario and remarking that there was no way he'd allow such trouble to pester himself, Takatsukasa began to subconsciously pat at his pockets to make sure he had everything before continuing on his way to the exit. By that time, Miki had already turned back to the principal's door in thought and had completely forgotten about the previous interaction.

At that moment, Takatsukasa realized that he did not have his wallet on him. His eyes flashed back to the moment he last had it, reminding him that he'd handed it over to the one person he actually talked to. He only intended to gift her with the two theater tickets inside before she received a call from an unexpected appointment. Not thinking clearly in that moment, especially since the woman had a distractingly cute pout on her face, Takatsukasa figured he'd leave her with the wallet so she could discover her gift later. But, with his brain having gotten her off his mind, he realized just how stupid he was in that moment... He was too new to that sort of affection. The worst part was the fact that Takatsukasa couldn't just go back and ask her for the wallet, seeing as she'd already gone off to one of her meetings. Perhaps he could've waited for her but, by the time she was done, he already would have been late for work.